Ballochmyle Creamery..Scotland,

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mikeymutt

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Reaction score
I had a day free whilst on the way too Scotland as the other half was working. I had a couple of sires I wanted to check out, this being one of them. I have known about it after stumbling on it several years back, but never got around to visiting it. It was one of them places that I was taking a chance on. It was up for sale in 2022, so no idea if work had been started on if it had been sold. The only pics I had seen was from some obscure Glasgow I am surprised it ain’t been reported on here before unless I missed it. The only pics I had seen was from some obscure Glasgow forum from 2010, and a lot can happen in fourteen years in the life of a derelict building. So I took the long drive from the first place I done early in the morning to drive past the main drive and was happy to see it was still standing. So I took the route I had worked out a few weeks before and after some fumbling I was inside. It’s one of them places you don’t have high expectations about, it’s an empty shell. But once inside and seeing the lovely brickwork and arched windows and lovely character of the place I kind of fell in love with the place. Walking around it had that mill feeling about it. It was only when I read later that I discovered it was a former lint mill, this explained that feeling. It’s not the biggest of buildings, and the top floor I could not see as the steps had finally give way. My favourite bit was the stream had been diverted through the middle of the building and goes underneath part of it. A bridge had been built over the stream and incorporated the building. A thoroughly enjoyable explore and was glad I took a punt, this building is a really old one and been laying derelict for over thirty years.

The former lint mill was purchased in 1890 to be converted into a creamery and a margarine factory, the mill ironically stands on the site of an original creamery. The factory was expanded in the early 20th century.This factory was at the forefront of margarine development, and was used in puff pastry. The creamery manufactured Seafoam margarine, which was claimed to be the first margarine to use vegetable rather than animal fats. The factory was sold to a larger company called Jorgens, which would eventually go on to be Unilever. Margarine was continued to be produced here till after the war. After the closure of the creamery it continued as a spectacle factory till closure in 1987. Th managers house right opposite is now a residential property. It’s been up for sale several times with permission to convert to flats, but nothing has materialised yet.

An old image of the creamery. Loved the manicured gardens and the lovely greenhouse and potting shed. Surprisingly it still stands untouched and what we start with.

IMG_6019.jpeg
IMG_6020.jpeg
IMG_6021.jpeg
IMG_6022.jpeg
IMG_6023.jpeg
IMG_6024.jpeg
IMG_6025.jpeg
IMG_6026.jpeg
IMG_6027.jpeg
IMG_6028.jpeg
IMG_6029.jpeg
IMG_6030.jpeg
IMG_6031.jpeg
IMG_6032.jpeg
IMG_6033.jpeg
IMG_6034.jpeg
IMG_6035.jpeg
IMG_6036.jpeg
IMG_6037.jpeg
IMG_6038.jpeg
IMG_6039.jpeg
IMG_6040.jpeg
IMG_6041.jpeg
IMG_6042.jpeg
IMG_6043.jpeg
IMG_6044.jpeg
IMG_6045.jpeg
IMG_6046.jpeg
IMG_6047.jpeg
IMG_6048.jpeg

Cant beat a good creamery :ROFLMAO:
That word always makes me smile to myself ha ha
Picture the place with all the machinery now gone in use; boilers, the margarine production plant, the packing area. If it still received milk fresh in from the farms, then more mechanical handling, and possibly a milk bottling area. Plenty of clanking and other sounds now absent in most of modern industry.

Back