Battersea Power Station Summer '09 - The Full Monty Thread (pic heavy)

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GE066

Reaction score
An oldie but goldie, in fact one of my favourite explores. Looking at previous posts, I felt there was still more to show from here, and this post contains pretty much everything to see in the station. Kirkbride has some good interior shots http://www.derelictplaces.co.uk/main/showthread.php?t=8602&highlight=battersea The BBC have also been in on the act. http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/shared/spl/hi/picture_gallery/05/uk_battersea_power_station/html/6.stm
Most visits by myself or with Liamch over the summer. Some visits hampered by a night hike for cancer and a pop video being made, but not ruined.

Everyone knows the score with this place. Battersea is a combination of two power stations, Station A (Western side) was built in the early 1930s and completed fully in 1934. Demand lead to a second station joining the first on the eastern side, after a national naming competition, Station B was chosen as the name. Completed in 1953. Theo J. Halliday was the original architect and responsible for the Art Deco gloriousness still visible in Station A, particularly in the Control Room. You can see old photos here http://www.nickelinthemachine.com/?cat=131

The station is a London icon, and one most Londoners are proud of. Because of this it has had heavy preservation orders slapped on it over time. Various plans have come and gone, and the latest one is by Real Estate Opportunities. They will introduce a new energy plant there, along with commercial and residential schemes to revive the area. Along with the proposed American Embassy nearby, it’s likely to lead to an extension of the Northern Line.

As an icon, it has been used in lots of visual media. The most famous probably being the Pink Floyd Animals album cover. It also appeared in an early Hitchcock film, Sabotage [nomedia]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dCp1J46Zfy0[/nomedia] (1m58s into clip). The Control Room A is seen in Monty Python’s Meaning of Life [nomedia]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uWlUu54muOs[/nomedia] And those Mod boys The Jam did a pop video for News of the World on the roof of Station B [nomedia]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6epLYey3N7A[/nomedia]

On with the explore and pics…

1) Just in case you didn’t know what the place is like
_MG_1429sml.png

2) Plans room
_MG_2061_HDR2sml.png

3) Plans of a different kind. Look carefully at the smaller photo, you can just see they had plans at one time for a white Eiffel Tower like structure.
_MG_2032sml.png

4) It’s almost sad the way they’ve been trying to save the Station, with different plans over the years.
_MG_2024sml.png

5) Wages window, with peely paint for its fans…
_MG_2027_HDR2sml.png

6) View from chimney scaffold over Station B lower roof
_MG_1887sml.png

7) Station B stairwell
_MG_1954_HDR22sml.png

8) Station B top floor hall, it has a pulley system either side of a central block
_MG_1957_HDR2sml.png

9) I love the light through the windows on the wall in this. I know it’s not the greatest of shots.
_MG_2435sml.png

10) Wide shot of Control Room B
_MG_2449_HDR2sml.png

11) It’s switchcraft I tell ya. Control Room B
_MG_2484_HDR2sml.png

12) C’est moi in Control Room B. Must have been some dirt on the lens or my face.
_MG_2460sml.png

13) 3 of the 5 lovely art deco prints that are above Turbine Hall A
_MG_1462_HDR2sml.png

14) The unpleasant sight greeting those at the door of Control Room A. Counting the ripped out holes, this is the 5th padlock on there. Sadly some feel necessary to use force.
_MG_2149sml.png

15) The structure on the western-most side of Station A
_MG_2151sml.png

16) Using advanced miniature robot technology, I was able to get these Control Room A shots. This is the wide/establishing shot
_MG_2171sml.png

17) Desk shot
_MG_2181sml.png

18) The gorgeous ceiling
_MG_2212_HDR2sml.png

19) Scaring pigeons for a photo, looking from Station A roof across to Station B
_MG_2133sml.png

20) Looking North to South along roof of Station A. Past visitors will notice white covers on the roof glass now.
_MG_2126ev2_0_-2_tonemapped2sml.png

21) Art Deco stairway around lift. Ground floor directors entrance, Station A
_MG_2104_HDR2sml.png

22) Directors Lift
_MG_2114sml.png

23) Directors Lift. I love how the greeny coloured light comes through.
_MG_2122_HDR2sml.png

24) Service Tunnel. It's in the basement and leads to another section that goes around a corner with a layer of water. No idea how deep it was.
IMG_0028sml.png

25) I’ll be leaving now
_MG_21662sml.png

Hope this has been a good read/view. Please don’t post pics in any replies, it’s bandwidth heavy enough. I’ve numbered them should you want to quote.

If you’ve not had enough, there are another 12 pics here, I didn’t feel were needed for this. http://s144.photobucket.com/albums/r176/bukowski_jr/Batty%20Sea%20PS/

Last edited:
They certainly knew how to make buildings in them days. The art deco work is fantastic especially when you think its inside a power station

Wow!

I always thought that this place was a hollowed out powerstation with the odd switch left here and there. This place needs to be saved. The Art-Deco architecture is fabulous.

Haven't really seen as much interior shots of this so makes a refreshing change. Thanks for giving us a different angle on this fantastic building! :)

Wow fantastic! Never seen those rooms before. Didn't realise it was that good inside! I feel a trip coming on :lol:

Just glorious. That control room looks like it could have come straight out of the set of Metropolis. Sensational work, to which most of us can only aspire.

Cheers for the compliments. The middle of the building is a shell, and most of the floors, but there's a load of offices and what not in the south east corner. The control rooms are both sealed and have clearly been protected, so at some point in the future will be a museum or something i imagine.

If you have access to Cable/Sky, check out The Bill 'Debt of Love' episode on Alibi at 8am on the 17th Nov & 21st Nov '09, or 1.15am on the 18th Nov. It features loads of internal and external shots of the building, including the building sadly pulled down. I'll try an cobble together the bits and pop them on youtube, posting a link here.

Mate, this is sensational. !!!!! Fantastic photography shows off this icon perfectly !!! Dead jealous !!!!

you can never get enough pics of this place, every time I see photos it just gets better and better. great photos too mate.

Great shots there! love control room B, now I know where the original cover for Hawkwind's "Quark, Strangeness & Charm" was shot! I never realised it was a real place!

You know I 've owned that album for twenty years, and never made the connection! But thats it alright!

Great shots there! love control room B, now I know where the original cover for Hawkwind's "Quark, Strangeness & Charm" was shot! I never realised it was a real place!
Hawkwind-Quark-Strangeness-64330.jpg

Nice addition to info on this place, Pink Floyd not being the only one to benefit. They've photoshopped (or 70's equivalent) one of the instrument stands to behind the console desk.

Impressive and atmospheric set of photos – looks like you've covered a lot more of Battersea than any other explorer has. :)

marvellous! i saw some thing about it on bbc news this evening and knew i had to have a look on here to see if [silly question] it had been exp,lored.

love that last shot.

Back