Belowda, Cornwall

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

highcannons

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Reaction score
Belowda Beacon Clay Works
I chose the wrong day for the first visit to Belowda as it was hissing with rain! Never mind you can only get so wet.
The area around Belowda Beacon is littered with sites and interest and it's gonna take a few visits to see it all. Easy to find though you have to do battle with mud and gorse in some areas. But lots to see so help yourselves. There is a good information source you can download, Belowda Beacon Clayworkings - Two Forgotten Pits by John Tonkin
http://www.aditnow.co.uk/documents/BELOWDA-BELOVELY-Mine/The-Belowda-Beacon-Clayworkings.pdf

John Tonkins Map

belowdamap.png

The first thing you will see on approach is the engine house of The Standardized Clay Company. This is very unusual and a first as was built around 1906 but with a steel girder framework and concrete. It gives the impression of being much later.

enginhs.png

engineh1.png

This was painted between the wars and is now at the V&A, could this be the first derelict inspired picture?

belowda.png

Some of the RSJ's have been robbed leaving the concrete walls hanging in mid air, the fact that they are still there after some hundred years is testament to the builders.

norsj.png

The building housed a Bollinder four cylinder two stroke and a Petter engine which were both direct coupled to DC generators
as the works were mostly electrical driven and experimental.

Engine beds and other thingies

enginbed2.png

fitting.png

This part of the building housed six foot high electrically driven Gee separators and centrifuges

misty.png

Some of the drying was by loading the clay into steel wagons which passed through a heated tunnel

tunnel2.png

tunnel1.png

I will post more on this area but had to have a look at the earlier clay pits which showed something curious on google-earth.
I am now hoping that someone can tell me what these are! They seem to have been there some time and as far as I can tell some have been replaced with newer containers.

contain4.png

contain3.png

contain2.png

contain1.png

Finally, one for Jools. Hey Jools, one of the chaps didn't make it!:lol:

deadchap.png

Thank for looking.

Certainly be interesting to know what all those metal sheds/containers are. Afraid it's bad news on the picture though; there's art based on ruins going back at least 200 years. :)

the containers look like explosive stores

The containers are very secure with robust steel doors and construction, They have various wires going into the ground some of which look like telecomms wires. One of them has a vhf aerial They may have started life as explosives stores given they are spread out and the quarries in the areas. But the land is freely accessed now and they seem to be maintained!:question:

Screenshot.png

There must have been some reason for spacing the buildings out,,,,,,,,,,,,, best guess is something dangerous :mrgreen: I believe that some types of clay are used in the manufacture of explosives,,,,,some explosives are sensitive to temperature and humidity so maybe the cables are for monitoring it all

What's this with "one for jools"!! are the Welsh jokes starting already??? ,,,,,,,,It's not a chap,,,,,,, but a ms. ,,can't you see how cute she is??. You might better recognise one when she's dressed up for the night,,,,,,,

images.jpg

Last edited:
,It's not a chap,,,,,,, but a ms. ,,can't you see how cute she is??. You might better recognise one when she's dressed up for the night,,,,,,,]

Ah, so much for us born again in the country townies! I thought the farmer who told me it was a chap looked a bit dodgy! :)

Nice One HC, I too think the containers were for explosive storage, I enjoyed it, Thanks.

LOL! I think I'd better stop there...although I do apologise if I offended anyone as I really didn't mean to. Humble pie! :eek:

I am deeply offended that you thought we might be offended.:)

And there was me thinking it was only in Lancashire where the men are men and the sheep (and whippets) are nervous. :p

Some of thosw lintels look a bit dodgy HC, they look like they'll fall down any minute!

Interesting place!

And there was me thinking it was only in Lancashire where the men are men and the sheep (and whippets) are nervous. :p

Some of thosw lintels look a bit dodgy HC, they look like they'll fall down any minute!

Interesting place!

Yeah, do look it but bin like that a while......still walked under them, Fotunata Imperatrix!

Back