Bennerley Viaduct, Ilkeston - Feb 09

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

james.s

Reaction score
Today, i visited the Bennerley viaduct in Ilkeston, I also visited the old Ski Slope (which my mum designed the surface for) but it was not really worth posting, I ill if anyone requests it however. Anyway, I am not sure if the bridge is open to the public, there are newish guard rails at both ends, and a footpath up a steep slope at one end. For a full history go here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bennerley_Viaduct
There are no particular hazards, apart from tripping between the bridge trusses (it wasn't made for walking on) The side railings are fine.
I also looked around the old opencast site at the bottom, but there is not much to see apart from a strange waterlogged bunker full of floating fridges (9 in total but I sank one!, so now 8) I have decided to upload my best photos from the day, so not too much documentation as such., but I hope you enjoy looking at them.

Entrance to the bunker, really well sealed of with concrete and graffiti, the only trace of a entrance is a hairline crack.

The ballast box on this was empty, so I didn't bother climbing down.

Looks like a Banksy, but I doubt he'd bother with Ilkeston

My all time favourite photo, ever!

Thanks for looking!!!

Last edited:
Nice pics, James.... it's a great old structure, isn't it?
the huge open area nearby, was an NCB coal screening/sorting depot,

http://www.flashearth.com/?lat=52.990476&lon=-1.297945&z=17.6&r=0&src=msl

viaduct at the bottom, coal yard above, sometimes flashearth being out of date with its images is useful! :mrgreen:
the orange maintenance ladder thing is stable enough, despite looking like there's nothing holding it on!

Ok here is a hand full of the pictures I took, I tried to only out my best ones on without repeating what James took already. Please comment on my pictures I am very new to the world of photography and also this is the first time I used my s5600 so all comments welcome :).

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

Last edited:
Thank you! I really enjoyed it and I am personally very happy with the photos I took so its great to hear someone else say so too! :) But what I really need are tips on how to improve, any comments?

Delete the one of me for god's sake!

I will do it, please don't be offended. Blur my face or summat' and repost it.

Last edited:
Hello Peter. What fantastic shots of the totally majestic Bennerley Viaduct. Well done. What a glorious statement to our industrial past that bridge is. Do you know wether it is a listed structure?

Hello Peter. What fantastic shots of the totally majestic Bennerley Viaduct. Well done. What a glorious statement to our industrial past that bridge is. Do you know wether it is a listed structure?

I'm James, but thanks for the post:) the bridge is grade 2 listed, so there isn't much chance of it being pulled down

Last edited:
sorry for getting the names wrong there. If the structure is grade 2 listed it definetly will not be pulled down james.

That's fine:) peter deserves some credit too (providing that he's taken that picture of me down;)) There was some speculation as to it's fate some years ago when some kid fell off it. But it was A) Listed and B)Very hard to demolish due to it's construction. Have you been yet?

No I havent bn yet but I would love to. I have a very big soft spot for rail remains like viaducts stations and signal boxes

If you are ever in the Derbyshire area, I would recommend it, just go down Ilkeston canal towpath and there is a path up a mound at the end of the bridge

I have been again, and been in the basket (Sweet jesus that thing was scary!) Here are a few photos, more bridge related this time. Enjoy

In the maintenance gantry

View along viaduct

Nice condition underneath

Liam in the gantry thing

Thanks for looking

Hi folks!
I've been back with my nice Sigma 10-20. Unfortunately I couldn't reach the other end due to a group of brick-throwing chavs. One train got hit by a shower of stones from them :mad:

img3786.jpg

img3792.jpg

img3801.jpg

img3805.jpg

Thanks for looking :)

Latest posts

Back