Bessingham Manor - September 2012

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steve2109

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Reaction score
Visited today with my daughter, was a good explore when you get past all the nettles !. Shame to see such a glorious place falling apart, didn't venture upstairs as the whole place is extremely dangerous and most of the floors are now gone... a little history then the pictures...

Built in 1870 for the Spurrell family, who had farming connections in Suffolk going back over 500 years, the house originally had 52-acres but this has now been reduced to a more manageable five. The house remained in the Spurrell family until the last member died in 1952. It was then bought by Robert Gamble who eventually found maintenance a significant challenge which was compounded by a poor quality roof repair which failed leading to massive water damage to part of the house, including the collapse of sections of the second floor. The near derelict state of the interior is mirrored in the exterior which is partially supported by scaffolding or probably held together by the extensive ivy. Perhaps questions should be asked as to why this gradual decay was not spotted by the local conservation department who may have been able to force repairs before the damage became so extensive?

It was in this sorry state that the house was finally put up for auction in September 2009 with the agents, William H Brown, who optimistically thought it might go for around £900,000 – despite a likely £1m bill to fully restore the house. Unsurprisingly, it failed to reach even the reserve of £640,000 from a starting price of £400,000. To compound the problems, thieves also broke in and stole a fireplace from one of the ground floor rooms. Despite this the agents have continued to try to find a buyer but with only limited success.

By the beginning of 2010, there were three offers on the table. Two were from individuals looking to create family homes but worryingly, one of the offers still in the table was from a developer looking for a commercial project – which is probably an inappropriate enabling development. With all the wealth still available and our nation’s ostensible love of older buildings, it is sad and mystifying as to it’s been so difficult to find a sympathetic owner. Once restored the house would probably be worth several million – so if someone has approximately £1.5m needing a profitable use then this would be the ideal opportunity

IMG_1948.jpg

IMG_1947.jpg

IMG_1942.jpg

IMG_1941.jpg

IMG_1938.jpg

IMG_1933.jpg

IMG_1931.jpg

IMG_1930.jpg

IMG_1929.jpg

IMG_1928.jpg

IMG_1925.jpg

IMG_1923.jpg

IMG_1921.jpg

IMG_1920.jpg

IMG_1919.jpg

IMG_1916.jpg

IMG_1915.jpg

IMG_1914.jpg

IMG_1913.jpg

IMG_1912.jpg

IMG_1911.jpg

IMG_1910.jpg

IMG_1909.jpg

IMG_1907.jpg

IMG_1906.jpg

IMG_1905.jpg

IMG_1902.jpg

IMG_1900.jpg

IMG_1899.jpg

IMG_1897.jpg

IMG_1894.jpg

IMG_1893.jpg

IMG_1891.jpg

Nice one, looks like a proper good old explore. Where's your partner in crime, was she being extra shy today?

I'll have to get up there myself for a look...

Cheers

Nice one, looks like a proper good old explore. Where's your partner in crime, was she being extra shy today?

I'll have to get up there myself for a look...

Cheers

she felt uneasy in the house, I think it freaked her out a bit

Some places are like that, she should try doing a new place solo one day... that'll freak her out :lol:

Nice work my man!

You know, I really like Bessingham although I have only paid two visits...

Someone is doing some low key work inside all the time and I wonder why, like why support the stairs when they have gone and yet leave the roof like a collendor??

And yet an all too familiar story of everything inside looted...

Thanks for sharing, and Your daughter will understand this.... On my second visit, on my own, in the room with the red wallpaper, I lined up a fireplace shot, it was all deathly quiet and still being a fine summers day, when I heard a sort of shredding noise.. The damn wallpaper behind me decided to part from the wall in a downward fashion. After all that time of being on that wall it decided to go then.. I lost a bit of weight very quickly.

I'm guessing there is an easier entry than the one I took! Upstairs is perfectly fine around the landing. Its not until you go down the hallway that the floors get rotten.

Great shots, lovely house, sad story...

And yet an all too familiar story of everything inside looted...

I've often wondered what part our reports play in raising awareness of the goodies available for looting..? Not saying we shouldn't do what we do, just wondered...!

Back