Cafe Pripyat

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UrbanX

Moderate Moderator
Reaction score
Just a quick one from me this sunny Thursday evening:

Pripyat was a prosperous town. The average salary there was a lot higher than the rest of the Ukraine. Leisure activities we way more popular than most cities of that size. You just have to look at Pripyats 3 stadiums, multiple restaurants, hotels, car accessory shops to realise that.

Here is the fantastic ‘Café Pripyat’ in the late 70’s:
CafeNew.jpg

Here it is in 2011:
IMG_5674.jpg

IMG_5683.jpg

The windows were beautiful stained glass, pretty opulent in 1970’s soviet Ukraine:
IMG_5688.jpg

IMG_5687.jpg

IMG_5684.jpg

The stained glass is actually coloured glass laid end on! They mustn’t have liked their fingers:
IMG_5700.jpg

Plans:
IMG_5701.jpg

River side view:
IMG_5693Halfpano.jpg

Not sure if anyone’s seen the documentary “Heavy Water” this is the view that opens and closes the film:
IMG_5676.jpg

I love this houseboat, slowly sinking into the lake:
IMG_5679.jpg

IMG_5696.jpg

One of the ladies had contaminated their shoes to dangerous levels in the surrounding woodland and had to discard their footware:
IMG_5702.jpg

Oh I forgot to mention previously that our driver (the Stig’s Ukrainian brother) always carried a couple of kitchen knives and a telescopic sight whenever we were outside of the vehicle. I found this hilarious, imagining him poking a violent looter with amazing accuracy. It turns out the sight was just a makeshift telescope, and he was watching our back for dangerous animals.

IMG_5680.jpg

Don't think it's actually closed yet.

Superb effort as usual, it's great to see these lesser trodden bits of Pripyat.
Also enjoyed the sinking houseboat and the intact coloured glass.

Jealousy is growing Urban... hope it re-opens if it hasn't already I really want to see this all first hand. Nice work

Don't think it's actually closed yet.

Cheers guys! :mrgreen:

Yeah the zone was closed to visitors suddenly on June 22nd. I have spoken to one Chernobyl tour company today, and they are hoping for it to re open at the end of July...

Superb again mate, How much longer are you there for, I could happily have a weekly helping of these reports for a long time.

Don't want you starting to get a green glow though :(

Superb again mate, How much longer are you there for, I could happily have a weekly helping of these reports for a long time.

Don't want you starting to get a green glow though :(

Maybe he is after the green glow so he doesnt have to carry a torch and flash gun on future explores :)

Blimey, I missed this one. Another really interesting aspect of Pripyat. It's great seeing all these out of the usual bits. The stained glass is gorgeous.
Cheers. :)

Awesome as always - thanks

That walkway sunken into the water is my fave pic, it somehow seems so threatening - I suppose it's an inside fear of the water still being badly contaminated..
Do you have any idea if the water is at normal or higher radiation levels? I know some stuff is more contaminated than others.

Thanks
Si

Awesome as always - thanks

That walkway sunken into the water is my fave pic, it somehow seems so threatening - I suppose it's an inside fear of the water still being badly contaminated..
Do you have any idea if the water is at normal or higher radiation levels? I know some stuff is more contaminated than others.

Thanks
Si

Cheers for the comments guys an gals. The shot of the stairs going into the water is used at the start and end of the documentary "Heavy Water"

I believe the water is pretty bad tbh, it's organic enough to absorb gamma radiation readily, and dense enough to retain the charge. Not somewhere i'd want to paddle!

Latest posts

Back