carshalton air raid shelter

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

outkast

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Reaction score
you may have seen this all over the news, it came to light when a hole "mysteriously" appeared in a park.

it was one of many in the area biult to hold up to 1000 people during bombing raids.

no doubt the council will seal it up due to health and safety.

001-4.jpg

014-6.jpg

remains of benches
028-7.jpg

one of the original entrances now back filled
003-5.jpg

several wood burners would have kept the tunnels warm
027-7.jpg

many original fittings survive
024-6.jpg

toilet area
012-5.jpg

emergency exit
006-6.jpg

031-6.jpg

039-5.jpg

rest of pics in here
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v134/drsugfit/my explores/my explores 2/

Nice to see you got in !! I was just reading about this on the Sub Brit mailing list and was hoping to see some pics before the H&S stormtroopers sealed it !! Well done !! There must literally be hundreds of these up n down the country, wonder if there is a definative list anywhere !!?

What amazes me is that no-one had clocked it was obviously a shelter. I've stood on top of the mound where the hole appeared at least a dozen times and said to members of my family "There must be an air raid shelter under here". Will see if I can take a gander after work tomorrow.

GDZ

Nice to see you got in !! I was just reading about this on the Sub Brit mailing list and was hoping to see some pics before the H&S stormtroopers sealed it !! Well done !! There must literally be hundreds of these up n down the country, wonder if there is a definative list anywhere !!?

not sure about a definative list but all councils holld something called a historic enviroment record (HER)
most are accessable online and are a wealth of info;)

I love these sort of discoveries -does make you wonder how many more are just waiting to be re-discovered!

Well done for getting some shots :)

I suspect its already sealed as there was evidence of contractors on site in the last few days, well done for getting in there sharpish and getting some shots :p

Despite their drab monotony I rather like large-ish shelters.

Just read on another forum that somebodies parked a skip over the entrance.

That was already there Dave, just took a bit of shifting

Back