China Clay Cornwall

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

highcannons

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Reaction score
Most of my posts have been very rural, such as Bodmin Moor for no other reason than I like walking around there. It occured to me that sometimes the quite and isolation can be a transitory thing. Then I found out some of the china clay works near Par are being demolished so decided to go and have a look before then. These works have been covered previously but I wanted to show how the lanscape had changed under the duress of china clay extraction.

I am not preaching against extraction, I just wanted to give a flavour of the dereliction that goes hand in hand with it. China clay deposits in Cornwall are the largest in the world and have been worked since 1746. 120 million tons of china have been extracted, but reserves in the ground will last at least another hundred years.

Of course this means that the area the open cast extraction covers grows. Compare the maps of this small area north of St.Austell.

maps.png

As you travel around the area you will come across many examples of roads etc ending at the edge of a pit or where they have been buried by waste. The next picture relates to the maps the earlier maps showing fields etc but the in the last one the extraction pit has widened.

nohway.png

gsplatrd.png

Here an old telephone box still sits beside part of an old road.

pbox.png

Then there are the dislocated farms and communities. This was once a farmhouse. It has no land now and serves as a cowshed.

hs1.png

window1.png

Some buildings when overtaken by the diggings were used by the quarry companies.

house3.png

door.png

floor.png

sign1.png

table.png

heat.png

The now traditional picture!

bog.png

One of the many chimneys in the area.

roundchim.png

This old shed is now used to store road salt. There wasn't much in there - maybe we won't need it this year....

shed1.png

salt.png

These sheds are in the process of demolishion.

1.png

2.png

3.png

winch.png

valve.png

truck.png

A square chimney for a change...

sqchim.png

danger.png

rals.png

pump.png

pits.png

inshed2.png

inshed1.png

glass.png

inside4.png

asbo.png

This reads like a challenge - but not today!

confine.png

bouy.png

arch.png

Thanks for looking

That was a desolate looking place and not what I expected, well interesting to look at. :)

Yes! Cornwall is one of the most beautiful places in the UK. That is not the case in this area.
I shall refresh myself with another walk up along the coast path....but desolate or not there are good explores in the clay country.

Really liking that. Quarries are my favourite explores and the first one I ever did was near St Austell some 15 years ago. Unfortunately I didn't bother with the buildings, as I was too entranced taking pics of the 'moonscape' waste heaps and turquoise lagoon. Great to see your pics, High, and really interesting to see the abandoned buildings. :)

Btw, I agree that Cornwall is the most beautiful place in Britain...apart from Devon, of course! :lol:

Really liking that. Quarries are my favourite explores and the first one I ever did was near St Austell some 15 years ago. Unfortunately I didn't bother with the buildings, as I was too entranced taking pics of the 'moonscape' waste heaps and turquoise lagoon. Great to see your pics, High, and really interesting to see the abandoned buildings. :)

Btw, I agree that Cornwall is the most beautiful place in Britain...apart from Devon, of course! :lol:

You Cheeky Vixen.:lol:
K

Back