Earth Station, Barbados, July 2012 (pic heavy)

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boatbird

Reaction score
Alexander Graham Bell invented the telephone in 1875 and by 1884 the Barbados Telephone Company was in operation.

Forward on less than 100 years and satellites were becoming part of the modern telecommunications developments and the Barbados Earth Station was built at Congor Bay in the St Johns District.

This station formed the nucleus for an international telephone-switching centers for, not only Barbados, but much of the English Caribbean.

By 1982 fiber optic cables were introduced in Barbados, again a first for the Caribbean region. And within a few years, the earth station was abandoned as technology outdated it.

Although attempts were made to turn the area into a hotel complex, it has become too expensive with the world economy and nearby farmers graze cows in what should be the car parks.

Oh, and its got the coolest GPS co-ords ever at Latitude: 13.183333 / Longitude: -59.483333.

image002.jpg

Entrance gate- while the drive is complete there is a rather large gap in the concrete stopping car access.

image005.jpg

Main building

image017.jpg

Main control room from a side room

image026.jpg

Loading Bay area

image042.jpg

Inside the power room

image051.jpg

Mission statement

image060.jpg

Generator room?

image064.jpg

Fuel tank storage bay

image070.jpg

Tool storage

image071.jpg

Phone number list from 1988

image111.jpg

Main entrance showing dedicated parking bays and seperate buildings

image113.jpg

The building that held the satellite downlink (there was a great big dish on here years ago) didn't get any closer due to cows and lack of time

There are more photos here

Thanks to at_home for showing me where it is and looking after the wee dude so we could explore!

Yep, I'm with the Archivist on this one - this is juicy communications goodness. I was a bit curious about the shot with the fuel tank storage though , and that big mess of cable on the floor in the bottom right of the shot. Any idea what that was all about?

Godzy

There was a lot of conduits under the concrete that I think ran the power from the generators to all the different buildings- maybe someone just gathered a whole load of them together (harvesting copper?) and that was what was left behind? There was a couple of rusty oil drums and some air con parts in there too

ive been to barbados 4 times now and did not know about this place, roll on the next trip in the new year. Grenada is a good one for derelict stuff, perticuly pearl airport if your into old ruins of planes.

It's a reasonably well presented report on what looks like an interesting place. Plus it's an overseas site so more interesting again to those of us stuck on our Island at the arse end of Europe.:mrgreen:

I'm with Seahorse on the co ords being cool thing though. Apart from having a lot of 3's in it, if this is the new cool for grid refs then count me out. To me they simply mean 'where it's at'.

Thanks for posting :)

Back