Equine Stud, Newmarket, Suffolk, Sep 08

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UrbanX

Moderate Moderator
Reaction score
Welcome to Newmarket, the home of horseracing (as the tourist info board will tell you). Makes sense then to explore the dingier, derelict stables. I don’t know much about the history of this place, so will let the pics do the talking.

There are several dwellings on the site, presumably for stable hands / farriers, which I have posted in a separate report here

There are a fair number of stables, spread between 2 yards.
Image090.jpg

Grave
Image051.jpg

Image053.jpg

I’m sure if they knew we were coming to take pic’s they’d have had a tidy up.
Image055.jpg

Image057.jpg

Main yard from higher up
Image061.jpg

Moi, looking out of a door on first floor! Cheers to Cavewheel for pic!
IMG_4238Small.jpg

Image063.jpg

Obligatory chair shot
Image069.jpg

The bare wooden floors, and open ceilings gave it a really pleasant feel upstairs.
Image072.jpg

Image076.jpg

This little fella was exploring in the yard:
Image088.jpg

Up on the roof:
Image095.jpg

What wouldn't I give to have a place like that up in this neck of the woods. Wouldn't be derelict for long, I can assure you.

Loving the house in the other thread too. :)

Apprentice jockeys would often be all crammed in together such as in the attic. The yard owner would have one of the houses, and more permanent lads/lasses might share a house too. If there were several houses, some lucky apprentices might actually get half decent accommodation.

Farriers wouldn't stay on the yard. Being self employed in their own right, they would be in high demand and service several yards.

How jealous am I?

Another fine explore. :)

Loving the randomness of the mess. Many of those containers take me back a few years - not that I had lice or leaking joints!

Thanks for posting.

I think I have enough pics of your arse to fill next years exhibition...! :p

Another excellent explore. The old-fashioned table with the cutlery drawer and the loft space are totally delightful. Interesting looking wheely wooden thingy at the furthest end. :mrgreen:

Another excellent explore. The old-fashioned table with the cutlery drawer and the loft space are totally delightful. Interesting looking wheely wooden thingy at the furthest end. :mrgreen:

Totally agree, an excellent explore. Foxy you command of technical terms is amazing. ;)

Did you manage to get a better pic of Foxy's Interesting looking wheely wooden thingy? I'd love to get a better look at that.

cheers for kind comments!
I don't have any shots of the wacky machine... But there is a cracking pic of it on cavewheels site theymadeusdoit.co.uk then "houses & estates" img 4235. Soz can't post a direct link!

cheers for kind comments!
I don't have any shots of the wacky machine... But there is a cracking pic of it on cavewheels site theymadeusdoit.co.uk then "houses & estates" img 4235. Soz can't post a direct link!

Oh yeah! And lots of other stuff too.

Nice one the pair of ye.

Hi All.

I believe we went to this house as our first explore in Newmarket several years ago, must be a good 2-3 years back! - we was visiting Grandma in Essex and took her to an antiques and collectors fair at Newmarket Racecourse, nothing great... just a car boot sale for those with lots of money to burn!

Would this happen to be the house in "The Rows" off of Hamlingay or something Hamlin or hamlington Road?

Would love to go back again, if it is the same house!

Unfortunately, i wasn't as bold as i am these days, also did not want to get the wrong side of the law and therefore wouldn't dare go anywhere near the place, so did not take any photos, etc.

Would be grateful if somebody could maybe PM or reply to confirm wether or not it is the same one, if not then there is a another outstanding location to be explored in Newmarket for all us Cambridgeshire folks and lasses.

All the best.

Daniel

Latest posts

Back