Florence Iron Ore Mine, Cumbria - August 08

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sinnerman

Reaction score
Florence Iron Ore mine was first opened in 1900 after two years work sinking it's Shaft to a depth of 305ft. The mine was the last deep iron ore mine in western europe and has only recently closed. For many years the mine was supported by the tourist industry in the form of a heritage centre offering mine tours while three full time miners continued to mine iron ore on an ad hoc basis. The mine also benifited from Nuclear power industry. Until 2006 BNFL pumped 400 tonnes of water an hour from the warren of tunnels to cool the reactors at its plant at Sellafield. But the water is no longer required and BNFL stopped paying the £100,000 a year pumping bill and the tunnels began to flood at a rate of a meter a day. Plans were suggested to convert florence into a secure underground storage facility for neclear waste but these have fallen through. Attempts to use alternative energy scources such as wind power to keep the pumps running failed and now the Mine is abandoned it has been sold on to a property developer for housing and is awaiting clearence.

Although the buildings eluded me there is a lovely little headgear i wanted to climb. The mine yard is also full of dumped equipment including three intact oldham charging racks. I had a good look around and a little venture down the mine adit not much to see now the workings have flooded though. Just as i was about to climb the headgear a little chap poped round the corners and i was expecting the usualy f*@K off so i made like a harmless photographer. He only wanted me to move my car a little so he could get a trailer out of the mine yard and the left me to it. So as soon as he was gone up i went, loved the yellow sheaves its probebrbly the safest headgear ive been up yet but there were a few dodgy steps on the way up.

Flo01.jpg

Flo02.jpg

Flo03.jpg

Flo04.jpg

Flo05.jpg

Flo06.jpg

Flo07.jpg

Flo08.jpg

Flo09.jpg

Flo10.jpg

Flo11.jpg

Flo12.jpg

Flo13.jpg

Flo14.jpg

Flo15.jpg

Flo16.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice little explore there! All that machinery looks to be in pretty good nick do you think the man wanting you to move your car was kosher? :unsure: :wconfused:

Yeah he was completly kosher had a family in the back, Looks like the neigbours have been useing the yard for storage there was a landy and horsebox parked up in there as well. No sign of any theaving.

Cracking set of pics how long is it till it gets flattened.

Thats, Great I did not realise it was now closed. Seems like a real shame. I will definately be making time to visit soon.

Its suprising to see most of it still there. Its a lovely sight and in very good nick. I love the last pic of the sign sinnerman!

Top stuff SM!

This brought back some memories of when I visited there back in about 1990 :)
We stopped off here having just visited the Haig Pit in nearby Whitehaven, where we think that my Grandad used to work.

Underground
2.png

Overground (seem to recall the chap in the middle, who gave us the guided tour, was the Owner?)
1.png

As mentioned before -the men working underground has permanently orange skin -hmm, I wonder if David Dickenson used to work here "back in the day"?!! :lol:

Info and pics are spot on SM -nice work -ta for sharing :)

Lb:jimlad:

Last edited:
Also seem to remember that Hemetite (probably spelt that wrong!) was extracted from here (or the Iron Ore was used to make Hemetite??) -and was told that Hemetite is used in cosmetics and to give colouration to bricks.

Funny i did the reverse visited haig after this one. they wouldnt let me climb the headgear at haig though :( althought the helpful musieum voulnteer did let me look behind scenes at the remaining derelict parts of the power house.

oh and Hemetite is the correct mineral name for iron ore.

Funny i did the reverse visited haig after this one. they wouldnt let me climb the headgear at haig though :( althought the helpful musieum voulnteer did let me look behind scenes at the remaining derelict parts of the power house.

oh and Hemetite is the correct mineral name for iron ore.

Cool -would like to see some of your snaps from Haig (used up all of me film at Florence!) :cry::eek:
Thanks for the clarification on the whole Hemetite thing! :)

Lb:jimlad:

Great pics. I love seeing seeing stuff that makes places 'real' like the name tags and the chair, they change them from just being an abandoned site to being somewhere which once had a purpose. Maybe that's just me being a girl ;)

nice site.. in mint condition.. shame about the fk off gate on the workings would have been well nice to explore the old pit

Latest posts

Back