Fort de La Pompelle, Reims – Aug. 2009

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chris

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Reaction score
Fort de la Pompelle, also known as Fort Herbillon, is one of a number of forts built around Reims after 1870 as part of a fortification belt in the Séré de Rivières system. The forts saw combat during the First World War in the defence of Reims (the front that was stalled at Verdun had one of its greatest southern elongations down to the outskirts of Reims). It was built in 1880 - 83 as a supporting position for larger forts and though disarmed in 1913, it saw the heaviest fighting of the Reims forts. It was bombarded during that war and remains in a state of ruin.
The relatively small rectangular fort was surrounded by a ditch defended by two-level caponiers. With a surface area of 2.31 hectares (5.7 acres), it was provided with six 155mm de Bange 1881 guns, four 138mm guns and a variety of lesser pieces. An artillery company of 277 men garrisoned the fort. In 1917-18 a number of underground passages were cut from the chalk to provide access points a few hundred meters to the rear of the fort

It’s now a really impressive museum and has case after case of German helmets, bayonets, etc. Could have spent many hours there. Unfortunately you don’t get to read the Fort as a structure so well, but the collection makes up for it.

DSC_0649.jpg

DSC_0655.jpg

I think this shows the shell-torpedo

DSC_0656.jpg

DSC_0650.jpg

DSC_0660.jpg

DSC_0663.jpg

Anyone else see a resemblance to Klaus Kinski as Woyzeck?

DSC_0670.jpg

DSC_0669.jpg

DSC_0668.jpg

DSC_0667.jpg

DSC_0661.jpg

The defences of Reims

Very interesting! Now I have to find a source for a fur helmet with skull & crossbones on it. (not!) Seriously, who would imagine there were so many styles of helmets? I guess all of that is plunder from the German retreat.

Very interesting! Now I have to find a source for a fur helmet with skull & crossbones on it. (not!) Seriously, who would imagine there were so many styles of helmets? I guess all of that is plunder from the German retreat.

There were many cases more - the amount of variation was remarkable

Now I have to find a source for a fur helmet with skull & crossbones on it. (not!) Seriously, who would imagine there were so many styles of helmets? .

Your skull and crossbones busby is a Braunschweig Hussar Regiment number 17 I think. The Kaiser had a penchant for wearing this particular busby and can be seen wearing one on lots of pix.

There are indeed many, many different helmets from that war, both Germanic states and Bavarian. In brief, if it has a spike it's infantry. a ballfor artillery, a flat mortar board style = lancers known as uhlans, and then the rabbit skin and felt busbys are hussars. Machine gun regiments and certain others had a strange pillbox helmet and heavy cavalry had a metal "lobster tail" pickelhaube with a spike as did jaeger dzu pferde regiments (recon cavalry). When you consider Bavarian regiments it gets complex 'cos they used spikes for artillery (just to be different!).

Once upon a time you couldn't give these helmets away and they would appear on Exchange and Mart weekly priced at a few quid. Nowadays they fetch £300 - 500 pounds for a really ratty shell and several thousands for a decent officer's helmet. The other problem is that the market is totally flooded with very authentic replicas made in bl**dy India.

Here's a link to a few pix of part of our collection which is laughingly referred to as TJ's retirement fund!

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.549224685092876.151461.100000160493047&type=1

I loving the skull and crossbones busby! Some interesting items in there, looks well worth the visit! Thanks for sharing!

Your skull and crossbones busby is a Braunschweig Hussar Regiment number 17 I think. The Kaiser had a penchant for wearing this particular busby and can be seen wearing one on lots of pix.

There are indeed many, many different helmets from that war, both Germanic states and Bavarian. In brief, if it has a spike it's infantry. a ballfor artillery, a flat mortar board style = lancers known as uhlans, and then the rabbit skin and felt busbys are hussars. Machine gun regiments and certain others had a strange pillbox helmet and heavy cavalry had a metal "lobster tail" pickelhaube with a spike as did jaeger dzu pferde regiments (recon cavalry). When you consider Bavarian regiments it gets complex 'cos they used spikes for artillery (just to be different!).

Once upon a time you couldn't give these helmets away and they would appear on Exchange and Mart weekly priced at a few quid. Nowadays they fetch £300 - 500 pounds for a really ratty shell and several thousands for a decent officer's helmet. The other problem is that the market is totally flooded with very authentic replicas made in bl**dy India.

Thansk TeeJF - you guys really know your military history :cool: I'm kicking myself for not having bought some of these years ago - I was after an Afrika Korps forage cap for years but never did find one. I should have looked for some of these instead :(

Back