Fort du Mont Bart, Montbéliard, France - Sept. 2012

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chris

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Reaction score
Fort du Mont Bart is located to the south of Montbéliard, France. It was built between November 1874 and July 1877 as part of the Séré de Rivières system of fortifications. The fort overlooks the valleys of the Doubs and the Allan and is to the south of the fortified region around the city of Belfort. It controls the road to Besançon, and is there to prevent the enemy from bypassing the Belfort fort system.

An unusual feature of the Fort is its "interior street", originally constructed in the open air as a sunken court, then covered before World War I with reinforced concrete. This now houses a screen with a continuous loop of film, I think it was about a mechanical duck or … Maybe I should have paid more attention.

There’s a lot more art here – I liked the room with shotgun cases, and the dangling spiders were funny, but … well it’s not quite the same as wandering around a ruined French fort.

In form it’s a fairly typical pentagonal fort surrounded by a ditch, which is traversed by fire from the caponiers. The central barracks is sunken into the earth and encircled by firing positions on the surface of the fort.

If you like gun facts: the fort's surface was originally armed with four 155mm and five 120mm guns, with one 138mm gun. Four 220 mm mortars completed the exposed armament. Casemates were armed with one 155mm Mougin gun and four 138mm guns, with smaller arms defending the fort's walls, and a separate battery with four 95mm guns. By 1914 the surface armament had been augmented with four 90mm guns and an additional three 120mm guns. Revolving guns defended the fort.

Just prior to WW1 the fort was reinforced with 1.65 metres of reinforced concrete over the central barracks and court, apparently uniquely in the Séré de Rivières system.

In 1940 the fort was manned by troops of the French 8th Army. After the fall of France it was stripped of its armament. It remained occupied by the military until the 1960s, when it was abandoned. It is presently owned by the Montbéliard regional government who are responsible for the art and the over-restoration (bâtards :mad:)

780.jpg

783.jpg

794.jpg

Covered central court

801.jpg

808.jpg

Grudgingly quite liked this

804.jpg

822.jpg

Is it a chien or cheval?

864.jpg

It had a squash court floor to add to the ambience ...

Yes it was a real shame. I didn't post a picture of the roof becasue they've made a real mess of that. Some parts like the caponiers haven't been touched (yet ...)

Would much rather see the place without the gimics, but I suppose its better than doing nothing. The shotguns shells is an awesome pic, thanks for sharing!

Would much rather see the place without the gimics, but I suppose its better than doing nothing. The shotguns shells is an awesome pic, thanks for sharing!

Yeah it's a shame, they varied from the amusing (probably unintentionally) to the very annoying. I'm glad I'm not the only one who liked those shotgun cartridges though :)

Back