Frongoch Mine & Lletysynod, Pontrhydygroes - Mar '11

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Archivist

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Reaction score
Frongoch is a former lead and zinc mine in upland Ceredigion. Although mining here started in the mid 1700s, large scale lead mining did not commence until 1834 when it was taken over by the Lisburne Mines Company of Nearby Pontrhydygroes. In 1899 a Belgian company, the Société Anonyme Metallurgique de Leige bought the mine and installed a new dressing mill and headgear powered by a hyrdroelectric power station down the valley. Wemyss, a neighbouring mine directly below the mill was taken over to drain the Frongoch workings further up the hill by means of blasting new tunnels between the two.

Underground mining ceased about 1910, although in the 1920s the extensive tips were re-worked for zinc before the site was completely abandoned.

Just over the crest of the hill is Lletysynod, a typical Welsh farmhouse gradually falling in on itself. I'm guessing it might have had historical connections to the mine, but there's no evidence to support this.

a2.jpg

The Belgian Mill in 1901, borrowed from here

a.jpg

The ruins of the Belgian Mill today

b.jpg

Dressing floor

c.jpg

Part of the mill

f.jpg

Remains of a tramway bridge over the road visible in the 1901 photo

d.jpg

Looking up to the site of the wheel-pit. the remains of the wood-lined tail race are still visible in places

e.jpg

Open adit

g.jpg

Upper site with engine house remains. This is now used as a wood yard.

f1.jpg

Former hydro power station down the valley

i.jpg

Lletysynod

j.jpg

I loved the colour of this stove

k.jpg

The roof isn't up to much - the slates were removed about 5 years ago

l.jpg

Found this in one of the barns

n.jpg

Traditonal Welsh barn. Note the bottom step which is deeper than all the rest - keeps inquisitive livestock out.

kettle.jpg

Mossy kettle

------------

First report, hope it's not too pic-heavy. Edit: Damn. Title should be Mar '11 - apparently I can't remember what year it is..
Edit: Fixed, thanks muchly.

Thanks for reading,

A.

Last edited:
Just wondering if the house was the Manager's House, although as you said, it may not have anything to do with the mine. I think they were usually a bit grander than that too. lol...don't mind me, I've just talked myself out of that suggestion! :lol:
Fab site with some great remains. Love the stove and waggon. :)

Back