Heygate Estate, Elephant and Castle July '12

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

prettyvacant71

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Reaction score
Hello peeps;)

Walking around this near ghost town had a rather surreal feeling about it at times. As only 3 residents still remain here as they are refusing to move out because the money that Southwark Council is offering them couldn’t rent them a shed for a year in Southwark, means the estate is technically not derelict, yet it certainly feels it deserted. The exception to this is a small communal garden where the surviving residents have planted vegetables and a small group of friendly protesters have set up some boarding with an exhibition of photographs from the local papers, planning apps etc detailing the hypocrisy of the local council with its plans for affordable housing, demolishing the estate and how the compensation offered to the 3 home owners is nowhere near enough for them to purchase the “new affordable housing” of the Strata Tower, even if they all clubbed together!

I spent a couple of hours on the estate wondering around and taking pics, it’s become an urban playground for squirrels as they practise free running from the bridges, I saw a few humans having a go at it too and every now and then I would see a small group of locals using the estate as a short cut onto the New Kent Rd.... whilst one-legged pigeons rest on the many high walkways, other than that the estate appeared lifeless or more accurately, soulless...apart from the activity of the remaining owners and protestors providing the only signs of life. As night fell the place took on a totally different atmosphere, the emergency lighting lit up some of the staircases where the remaining residents lived and the rest of the estate fell into darkness, illuminated only by the fall out of the neighbouring street lamps.

A little history....

The Heygate Estate was built in 1974 in Walworth, Southwark, south London and was home for more than 3,000 people. In 2004 a Southwark Council regeneration master plan for The Elephant and Castle area included the demolition of the estate.
The estate is well known for being one of the starkest examples of post-war urban decay in the UK. The concept behind its construction was one of a modern living environment. The neo-brutalist architecture aesthetic was one of tall, concrete blocks dwarfing smaller ones, surrounding central communal gardens. The architect Tim Tinker’s concept was to link all areas of the estate via concrete bridges, so there was no real reason for residents to walk on pavements or along roads.
Once a popular place to live, the flats being thought of as light and spacious, but the estate later developed a reputation for crime, poverty and dilapidation. Residents complained about constant noise, crime and threats of violence. The sheer scale of the blocks also meant there was little sense of community, by 2000’s the estate had fallen into severe disrepair.
Due to the Heygate’s location and urban decay it has been extensively used as a filming and music video location. 76 films have been made on the estate from 2007-2010, earning Southwark Council £91,000 in royalties.
Local residents are alarmed that the new regeneration plans contain no commitment to a minimum level of affordable housing and have lodged their objections. The complete demolition of the estate means the area will be redeveloped with 2,500 new homes, costing £8.5 m to demolish the estate with £35m needed to rehouse the residents. Part of the £1.5 billion regeneration project of The Elephant and Castle includes the new high rise block Strata Tower, which has been criticised for pricing out local residents, luxury apartments start at a huge £850,000.

April 2011 demolition started and then was abruptly halted due to the high amounts of asbestos found within the estates construction.

haygate3001.jpg

haygate2078.jpg

New Kent Rd from one of the Heygate’s walkways

haygate2076.jpg

haygate2056.jpg

haygate2093.jpg

haygate2106.jpg

Walkways link areas of housing to each other and the shops

haygate2107.jpg

haygate2115.jpg

One of the remaining residents a trader

haygate2118.jpg

haygate2121.jpg

haygate2131.jpg

haygate2140.jpg

haygate2143.jpg

haygate2152.jpg

haygate2156.jpg

haygate2166.jpg

haygate2173.jpg

haygate2175.jpg

haygate2176.jpg

haygate2178.jpg

Communal gardens

haygate2180.jpg

haygate2188.jpg

haygate2185.jpg

haygate2199.jpg

haygateestate001.jpg

haygateestate004.jpg

haygateestate022.jpg

haygateestate024.jpg

haygateestate025.jpg

haygateestate026.jpg

haygateestate030.jpg

haygateestate028.jpg

haygateestate033.jpg

haygateestate039.jpg

haygateestate040.jpg

haygateestate042.jpg

haygateestate043.jpg

haygateestate045.jpg

haygateestate048.jpg

haygateestate049.jpg

haygateestate052.jpg

haygateestate058.jpg

Lighting on around the kids playground

haygateestate064.jpg

haygateestate066.jpg

haygateestate083.jpg

haygateestate102.jpg

Shops on the estate

haygateestate084.jpg

Well thanks for lookin... safe splores folks;)

Stunning set of pics, thanks for posting :cool:

Excellent post. Remember walking past this estate when I used to visit my nan as a kid. Cheers for sharing.

We were stuck in the car in a jam outside here coming back for some derps a short while ago and wondered what it was looking like inside now.

Nice snaps mate :)

I think they should have renamed this place hellsgate! Nice set, thanks for sharing!

gosh how desolate..what a weird place..brilliantly captured felt like i was walking round there...

I cannot imagine being the last ones there.

Taking stubborn to a whole new level.

Fantastic shots and location...reminds me of my old home away from home!

Cheers for posting them up dude :)

Hello peeps;)

Walking around this near ghost town had a rather surreal feeling about it at times. As only 3 residents still remain here as they are refusing to move out because the money that Southwark Council is offering them couldn’t rent them a shed for a year in Southwark, means the estate is technically not derelict, yet it certainly feels it deserted. The exception to this is a small communal garden where the surviving residents have planted vegetables and a small group of friendly protesters have set up some boarding with an exhibition of photographs from the local papers, planning apps etc detailing the hypocrisy of the local council with its plans for affordable housing, demolishing the estate and how the compensation offered to the 3 home owners is nowhere near enough for them to purchase the “new affordable housing” of the Strata Tower, even if they all clubbed together!

I spent a couple of hours on the estate wondering around and taking pics, it’s become an urban playground for squirrels as they practise free running from the bridges, I saw a few humans having a go at it too and every now and then I would see a small group of locals using the estate as a short cut onto the New Kent Rd.... whilst one-legged pigeons rest on the many high walkways, other than that the estate appeared lifeless or more accurately, soulless...apart from the activity of the remaining owners and protestors providing the only signs of life. As night fell the place took on a totally different atmosphere, the emergency lighting lit up some of the staircases where the remaining residents lived and the rest of the estate fell into darkness, illuminated only by the fall out of the neighbouring street lamps.

A little history....

The Heygate Estate was built in 1974 in Walworth, Southwark, south London and was home for more than 3,000 people. In 2004 a Southwark Council regeneration master plan for The Elephant and Castle area included the demolition of the estate.
The estate is well known for being one of the starkest examples of post-war urban decay in the UK. The concept behind its construction was one of a modern living environment. The neo-brutalist architecture aesthetic was one of tall, concrete blocks dwarfing smaller ones, surrounding central communal gardens. The architect Tim Tinker’s concept was to link all areas of the estate via concrete bridges, so there was no real reason for residents to walk on pavements or along roads.
Once a popular place to live, the flats being thought of as light and spacious, but the estate later developed a reputation for crime, poverty and dilapidation. Residents complained about constant noise, crime and threats of violence. The sheer scale of the blocks also meant there was little sense of community, by 2000’s the estate had fallen into severe disrepair.
Due to the Heygate’s location and urban decay it has been extensively used as a filming and music video location. 76 films have been made on the estate from 2007-2010, earning Southwark Council £91,000 in royalties.
Local residents are alarmed that the new regeneration plans contain no commitment to a minimum level of affordable housing and have lodged their objections. The complete demolition of the estate means the area will be redeveloped with 2,500 new homes, costing £8.5 m to demolish the estate with £35m needed to rehouse the residents. Part of the £1.5 billion regeneration project of The Elephant and Castle includes the new high rise block Strata Tower, which has been criticised for pricing out local residents, luxury apartments start at a huge £850,000.

April 2011 demolition started and then was abruptly halted due to the high amounts of asbestos found within the estates construction.

haygate3001.jpg

haygate2078.jpg

New Kent Rd from one of the Heygate’s walkways

haygate2076.jpg

haygate2056.jpg

haygate2093.jpg

haygate2106.jpg

Walkways link areas of housing to each other and the shops

haygate2107.jpg

haygate2115.jpg

One of the remaining residents a trader

haygate2118.jpg

haygate2121.jpg

haygate2131.jpg

haygate2140.jpg

haygate2143.jpg

haygate2152.jpg

haygate2156.jpg

haygate2166.jpg

haygate2173.jpg

haygate2175.jpg

haygate2176.jpg

haygate2178.jpg

Communal gardens

haygate2180.jpg

haygate2188.jpg

haygate2185.jpg

haygate2199.jpg

haygateestate001.jpg

haygateestate004.jpg

haygateestate022.jpg

haygateestate024.jpg

haygateestate025.jpg

haygateestate026.jpg

haygateestate030.jpg

haygateestate028.jpg

haygateestate033.jpg

haygateestate039.jpg

haygateestate040.jpg

haygateestate042.jpg

haygateestate043.jpg

haygateestate045.jpg

haygateestate048.jpg

haygateestate049.jpg

haygateestate052.jpg

haygateestate058.jpg

Lighting on around the kids playground

haygateestate064.jpg

haygateestate066.jpg

haygateestate083.jpg

haygateestate102.jpg

Shops on the estate

haygateestate084.jpg

Well thanks for lookin... safe splores folks;)

Wow! Im new to this forum I think your pics are brilliant I like the way the double decker is blurred Id have sped thru there at warp speed too ;o)

Back