Higham Ferrers (Hope) Methodist Church, Northants Sept13 & Feb14

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Northantz_Urbex

Reaction score
This is pictures across two visits the first was September last year and the second from February this year also shot on 2 different cameras the first the trusty Samsung galaxy S4 cameraphone :) and the second was the even more trusted Nikon D5200 :D Through my online digging i found out some interesting info from the Victorian Society about its history which i would like to share with you,

Built in 1902-3 by Northampton architect Thomas Dyer, the Hope Methodist Church is a striking landmark on Higham Ferrers' High Street. Marked out in East Northamptonshire Council's own Conservation Area Appraisal as a building of merit, the church, which is notable for its exuberantly Gothic west end, has a powerful presence in its historically significant surroundings.

‘The Hope Methodist Church is a landmark building of considerable importance,' said David Garrard, Historic Churches Adviser of the Victorian Society. ‘The concentration of detail on its west front and the way it is set back from the street on rising ground make it particularly striking. It adds a great deal to the High Street.'

Yet the historic and architectural importance of Hope Methodist Church has not been enough to dissuade its owners from drawing up plans to demolish the building and erect a new church and community centre on the site. This, despite government planning policy guidance that the demolition of conservation area buildings should only be considered after all reasonable efforts have been made to keep the building in use, as well as the Council's draft Management Plan recommending that the building be locally listed.

‘The demolition plans are very blinkered,' continued Mr Garrard. ‘Here we have a handsome historic building which could be kept in use if its owners had the will. Surveys show that the church is structurally sound and by no means as dilapidated as has been suggested. It is certainly not beyond repair.' He added: ‘The loss of the church would be wasteful, counter to government guidance and very damaging to this historically sensitive area, particularly as its replacement is squat and shed-like and shares none of the historic building's positive qualities. We urge East Northamptonshire Council to save Higham Ferrers from this and throw the plans out.'

Here is an old pic
HFWesleyan-Church.png

And here is one from September 2013
498279f1-63f0-4f05-84ad-975efcd6efba.png

Another old pic inside
HFwesleyan-choir60.png

Inside in 1988
wesleyan-interior-1988.png

Inside in Sept 2013
20130901_135256.png

IMG_192476676878200.png

IMG_192266463834988.png

CSC_0135.png

CSC_0137.png

CSC_0138.png

Purposely over exposed to bring out the woodwork on the ceiling :D
CSC_0145.png

DSC_0074-1.png

CSC_0158.png

CSC_0155.png

CSC_0132.png

CSC_0131.png

CSC_0130.png

Thanks for looking :)

Last edited:
Dare I say that church bodies are basically unaccountable & can waste money by the bucket load. I've seen this all happen before.

Thanks people yes this building is quite special for what it is considering this was built this size in such a small town its is on the Victorian Society's buildings most at risk register so hopefully they keep tracks on it and save it from being completely destroyed

Dare I say that church bodies are basically unaccountable & can waste money by the bucket load. I've seen this all happen before.

That is certainly not true of the Anglican and Roman Catholic Church as you should well know. I may well be an atheist, but I have a great interest in the fabric of religious buildings and as such know very well the struggle the PPC of the local church have in keeping it weather proof and heated- never mind paying the £1000's the Diocese demands each year. St Margaret's basically keeps its head above water due to the bequests of a rapidly diminishing congregation. All monies are accounted for and spent very, very wisely. Religious bodies cannot afford to keep redundant buildings, so they have to sell them and this is where the rot truly sets in. New owners are the major problem with most of the buildings we see here on this Forum

If the Victorian Society, English Heritage, the local community or any other organisation want to save a redundant church or chapel, then lets see them buy and fund the restoration and keep it in a time warp. From medieval times, buildings have survived by being adapted to the 'present time' - unless this is allowed, then all Listing does is add another eventual ruin to our landscape, whilst people argue with the planners.

Latest posts

Back