Hospital K (DE) July '24

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UrbanX

Moderate Moderator
Reaction score
Visited with @Priority 7 and a couple of non-forum explorers

History:

The former clinic was once a pulmonary sanatorium for tuberculosis sufferers. At the end of the 18th century, many people fell ill with pulmonary tuberculosis. Increasingly, health resorts were also being built all over rural, forested areas of Germany because here too the good, fresh air of the area promoted the recovery process.

It was built at a cost of 500,000 Reichmarks and completed in just 18 months, opening in June 1900. Shortly afterwards, a local doctor arrived and brought his developed tuberculin to test, but this was unsuccessful.

Ooops.

Anyway... during the Second World War, the sanatorium was mainly occupied by patients from the next nearest Clinic, which had been almost completely destroyed by a direct bomb hit. This worked well and continued: From around 1970, more and more departments of [that] Clinic moved here and it became an academy for medical training.

Luckily, there isn’t that much call for TB hospitals anymore, so it closed in 2007, and was sold to a private investor. For the last 17 years the trees have been growing up in its grounds and people have been visiting to explore / trash the place. But it still makes my heart skip a beat to see an abandoned fairytale castle with towers soaring above the forest canopy come into view from our hire car.

Alte Ansicht.jpg

Explore:

Once into to site we all split up to find an access, I was inspecting a corner of a courtyard when I spotted a leg appear from the window next to me. I assumed it was Priority7 as her was ahead of me, but it soon became apparent the leg was clad in a sundress, which Priority7 doesn’t usually wear, even on weekends. She clocked me and was surprised to say the least, I gave her a wave and a “Hi” to let her know I wasn’t Secca.

Her partner wasn’t far behind her, naughty naughty. But it cemented our way in. It was beautiful in there, and I spent hours wandering the corridors living total nostalgia from my early days of wandering UK asylums.

452024395_1506043196788219_6380645400273124952_n.jpg

(This wasn't worth the sketchy climb, I had to be guided down)

IMG_8690.JPG

IMG_8691.JPG

IMG_8692.JPG

IMG_8694.JPG

Ever feel like the walls are watching you?

IMG_8695.JPG

IMG_8697.JPG

IMG_8702.JPG

IMG_8704.JPG

I love how the paint has peeled to reveal the Russian writing beneath (I think @Priority 7 has a better close up of this)

IMG_8705.JPG
IMG_8706.JPG

Are you ready... The chapel. Despite there being graff in here, the vandals have left the chapel clean. It's quite breathtaking when you rounf the corner and enter...

IMG_8708.JPG

IMG_8711.JPG

IMG_8712.JPG

IMG_8714.JPG

IMG_8724.JPG

IMG_8727.JPG

IMG_8731.JPG

IMG_8732.JPG

IMG_8734.JPG

IMG_8737.JPG

Future:

It’s actually up for sale now if you have £3.2m spare. It already has approval to be converted in to over 100 apartments ranging from 47 to 110 m² for elderly / disabled people. The listing also mentions the amazing chapel, and mentions that some stained-glass panels have been moved to storage to keep them safe.

IMG_9021.JPG

Thanks for reading.

Last edited:
Interesting looking place, hints of Beelitz I think. The stained glass and stencilling in the chapel make up for the slightly bare looking corridors. I like your sketch at the end of the report – do you often take a sketchbook with you?

Interesting looking place, hints of Beelitz I think. The stained glass and stencilling in the chapel make up for the slightly bare looking corridors. I like your sketch at the end of the report – do you often take a sketchbook with you?

Cheers mate.

Yeah, occasionally. I'm not the best, but I think you really take so much more notice of the building when you actually LOOK at it to sketch it. You remember that window is divided into 6x4 panes, or how the stone window heads sit etc. so much more than when you photograph it.

Notepad.jpg

Sketch .jpg

Latest posts

Back