Hotel, golf and country club - Cambridgeshire - July 2024

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Warren.420

Reaction score
After seeing a photo on Instagram of this building I immediately traded the location with the poster and set of on the very same day. I left prior to doing any research, wich i would later find out was a terrible mistake, (but more on that later.) The golf club closed in 2020, wich from what i read on a news arcticle was due to vandalism of the grass on the golf course wich the owners couldn't afford to fix.

The golf club only stood a mere 10 miles away from me. After telling my friend about it and showing him the photo on Instagram he simply said "I'm in," and so we set off for a pleasant 21 minute drive through the cambridgeshire countryside. Along the way I was thinking about 2 things, how on earth are we going to park the car, due to the entrance just being road on the side of a country lane. The second thought I couldn't put off however (and a slightly more important one,) was getting caught. In the photos I saw there was freshly cut grass wich indicates that sombody was still maintaining the grounds.

THE EXPLORE

As we grew nearer to the building we were now focused on 3 main priorities.

No.1 - parking the car in an place far away enough to not draw any attention yet also close enough to be in running distance so we can drive away quick if need be.

No.2 - finding an open window or door to gain entry through.

No.3 - not being caught by a very unhappy owner. (probably the most important.)

As we were outside the entrance looking for a place to park we quickly realised this would be trickier then what we were usually used to. Scrapping the first priority my friend took it upon himself to just drive into the abandoned golf club and park in a space around the entrance. Wich was a very bold move considering it was a work vehicle he got just days before, but he was adamant that it would be fine, so I reluctantly got out the very suspicious big electric kia on the side of this scrappy, cracked and abandoned road. We then walked up and got our first look at the buildings in person.

The first think that struck me about the place was how new it looked. The road looked clean, it was a bright white like it had just been pressure washed. There was no visible vandalism and no smashed windows except for a door on the outside wich had a crack in the glass however it wasn't fully smashed and was still going strong keeping the elements out. That door would turn out to be unlocked and so we ventured on inside.

Unfortunately i didnt get any exterior photos except this one where i couldnt even fit the full building in frame due to where i was standing. The reason for this was a lack of time and also only being outside for about 1 minute as we found an entrance straight away.
1000014143.jpg

However I will instead show you a street view image wich includes all the buildings in one frame.
1000016502.jpg

See that caravan on the satelite imagery at the bottom? Remember that, It will be important later on.

Looking out the window from the inside you can see the freshly cut golf course, again pointing to the fact that sombody was still maintaining the land because the photos I saw were taken months prior.
1000014145.jpg

Walking deeper into the building it became evident that we were inside the hotel section, and so we got to work looking for open rooms.
1000014146.jpg

The first bedroom we entered was empty, except for this very old looking kettle.
1000014150.jpg

We then proceeded with looking for more bedrooms with hopefully more stuff. About a third of all the bedrooms were unlocked. It was hard to navigate in these seemingly endless long dark hallways.
1000014151.jpg

Without the flashlight it was pitch black.
1000014155.jpg

We then stumbed into this room and upon opening the door it was very evident from the putrid smell what was inside, a bunch of mould. My friend only stepped in for a second before deciding it wasn't safe to be in there breathing it all in, however I decided to take a closer look and was greeted with this upon entry. Breathing in all those mould spores trapped inside that room for god knows how long was very much worth it for this brilliant photo in my opinion.
1000014259.jpg

The end of the corridor was less interesting and just consisted of an ironing board and some fire extinguishers. We then turned around not wanting to meet whatever awful arachnid constructed that monstrous 6ft web.
1000014166.jpg

As we kept traversing these long dark hallways I couldnt shake of this strange eerie sinking feeling, like the feeling you get when you feel as though you're being watched. My friend seemed to have the same feeling as he wanted me to go first everywhere and kept shining his headlamp flashlight behind him.
1000014157.jpg

Walking into another bedroom not expecting much, we were greeted with this spectacular sight, and so it was clear what we had to do next.
We moved both the chairs in the corners infront of the open doors, sat down and sparked up a "smelly cigarette" right in time for golden hour. I had a beer and after convosating for about 40 minutes and watching the sun sink behind the hills of the golf course we decided It was time to move on. So we put the chairs back and closed the doors shutting out the elements preserving the place for the next 2 people who want to have a smoke there. One strange thing about this place is that there is always a bible and a hair dryer in the top left draw of the desk, in EVERY room, wich you can see in this photo.
1000014257.jpg

We then left the hotel building, but not before I snapped this photo of a light hanging down from the ceiling in the hallway.
1000014175.jpg

Eager to find out what the other 3 buildings had in store for us. Just as we walked out the hotel building I spotted a cause for concern, a grey SUV parked wich I hadn't noticed before. I told My friend that it was a good idea to go and check the registration and see if it was still insured to make sure we were alone. But he said we would do it after exploring the next building and so I reluctantly pressed forward. We then walked around the east side of the hotel building and started looking for ways into the golf club and country club building. We were out of luck and we were only finding locked doors and windows however, just as we were thinking about going to the next building we found an unlocked door and so we proceeded to see what this building has in store for us. We then came to find out that this door only led to 2 rooms, one that I can't remember and didn't take a photo of so I think it was pretty empty and this room wich seems to be being used as storage.
1000016503.jpg

There was a table with a load of trophies on and some glasses.
1000016514.jpg

An empty filing cabinet.
1000016515.jpg

I then decided I had to take a photos with one of the trophies.
1000016516.jpg

Afterwards we left that section of the golf club and started looking for more ways in. This photo here seems to be of the main entrance to the golf and country club, however it was locked.
1000016517.jpg

Shortly after taking this photo we started to walk towards the grey SUV and that was when we noticed something we hadn't seen before, the bonet of the car was open and there was a cable coming out leading to a caravan with the sunroofs wide open. The car and caravan looked brand new and so me and my friend gave eachother "the stare" (wich if you explore you know what I'm talking about.) So without saying a single word we both did a swift 180° turn and started speed walking away back to the car. We ended the night on a good note I think, we didn't get caught, we found a way in and on the way back we were greeted with this beautiful blood moon wich made us pull over and spark one up.

1000015222.jpg

After going home I did some research and found out that the owner still lived on the property in a house behind the golf and country club, something wich I had failed to spot before going. I'm still confused on when the hotel went abandoned because online it says in 2020, however the building looks brand new, but at the same time the inside looks like it's from the 90s with old box tv's in most of the rooms (wich I didn't get a photo off) and also the old looking kettles.

And that's about it for this report, this was a newer type of building for me as it was very untoched, (hence why I'm keeping this place a secret)

thank you for Reading (please like it) :)

Back