Kingsmoor House - Harlow Oct '11

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UrbanX

Moderate Moderator
Reaction score
I don’t really know much about this place, but when Nelly and Skeleton Key offered to show me round, I bit their hands off. Fantastic company also provided by Klempner69, Tommo, and Waddy.

A bit of history, stolen from Skeleton Keys previous reports, and anecdotes. Cheers bud!
I really recommend reading his original report for original historic mapping: www.derelictplaces.co.uk/main/showthread.php?t=16717
And Nelly’s original report for old photos: www.derelictplaces.co.uk/main/showthread.php?t=18970

The house is Grade II listed, and set in 0.9 acres of land. It was part of a larger estate built in the 17th Century, which has been enlarged over the years, as has the house. Hence the mixture of styles, ranging from an Edwardian front to an art deco rear.
IMG_8516.jpg

Unfortunately later additions are in the form of perimeter heras fences, coated in anti-climb paint. And steel shutters screwed across every opening with shear dome screws.

IMG_8520.jpg

Needless to say when I saw SK show me the access route into the building, I assumed he was joking.

IMG_8439.jpg

It spent it’s later years owned by the council, and was converted by the council in 1981 to a family centre, toy library, and nursery. It was granted permission to be converted to 9 flats a few years ago, but I think this may have even expired by now.

IMG_8445.jpg

IMG_8432.jpg

IMG_8433.jpg

Main Staircase:
IMG_8448.jpg

The Blue Room:
IMG_8471.jpg

The Yellow Room:
IMG_8469.jpg

The Pink Room:
IMG_8483.jpg

IMG_8457.jpg

Upstairs nursery:
IMG_8477.jpg

Dear me, this has past it’s best…
IMG_8479.jpg

Obligatory toilet shot:
IMG_8481.jpg

I made my way up to one of the beautiful attic rooms:
IMG_8494.jpg

And of course…out onto the roof!
IMG_8489.jpg

Then back down this dodgy stairwell:
IMG_8495.jpg

With light fading, and regular security patrols, we decided there was just time for just one more shot:
IMG_8453.jpg

I have a bit of video from the house (It’s from the whole day, but the last 2 mins are pure Kingsmoor)
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tVrivf11zrY[/ame]

Massive thanks to Nelly and SK for the access and to Klempner69, Tommo, and Waddy for the company.

Last edited:
Cracking stuff Urbanx..was really to see you again after nearly 5 years..I too loved this house with the many colours and endless rooms each with a fireplace!Its supposed to be haunted too!

Cheers klemps, was lovely to meet you again. Was a wicked day exploring. That place is peely paint heaven!

If you want peely paint,then Harperbury is above anything I have seen yet..went last thursday and thoroughly enjoyed the place.

Quite a formidable looking old place,hope they do something constructive with it:exclaim:

Some very atmospheric shots there,nice work guys:)

Beautiful pictures there UX. That third shot is a stunner!
I need to give this place another shot. It's been slammed up tight when I've been.

Great stuff Ux and another great video clip, and the MM soundtrack suits it perfectly :)

Or go the wrong way round a roundabout and blame the driver going the right way, for being too aggressive ;)

Lol, Sorry Mr. 7, I missed this when you posted it ;)

Don't know who would do such a thing :(

Great set bud,Was a great giggle and the company was epic ;)
This weekend gonna be sweet .
Bring on the splores La le la
SK :)

Back