RAF Debden

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

4201Chieftain

Reaction score
a site i have visited many times and look forward to seeing again!
RAF Debden was opened in 1937 and first used by the RAF. at first it only had grass landing strips but was given hard suraces in 1940. it was used as a sector station during the early years of the war and was an operations block for no. 11 group RAF. on 2 August, came a heavy attack which destroyed several buildings, killing five, to be followed by another severe raid on 31 August. During August and September, Debden fighters claimed seventy aircraft destroyed, thirty probables and forty-one damaged. a german pilot landed at debden, apparently by mistake, and he quickly turned around and left!
in september 1942 the airfield came under control of the yanks, when nothing of real interest happened. after the war it was used mainly as a technical facility and as an RAF police dog training area.
the barracks area is currently used by 33 engineering regiment so that part is off limits. there is also a secure ammo store and firing range, both should be left well alone!
now a few pics

this thing is still in use, i think something to do with stansted airport.

RAF debden by 4201chieftain, on Flickr

there are a number of these around the place. no idea what type of pillbox they are but they still have their gun mounts in place.

this is in the old admin block, now used for training for 33 EOD

boiler room

safety first!

the secca caught us!

i guess they use this for practice or did at some point

bomb/ammo store

hope you liked the report!

Very nice! Loving that boiler, which is actually looks like an "in better nick" version of the one we found at RAF Yatesbury (see report from a while back which if I could remember how to I would internally link!)

Godzy

Very nice! Loving that boiler, which is actually looks like an "in better nick" version of the one we found at RAF Yatesbury (see report from a while back which if I could remember how to I would internally link!)

Godzy

Reckon that seems to be a pretty standard military boiler.Here's one from a local underground ministry built site

then

and now

It was only a matter of time before you popped this up!
Nice pics dude (especially the first one) Still a lot to see there!

Back