RAF Rednal twin Pillboxes

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jindivik

Reaction score
These two pillboxes are no further than 20ft apart disguised within farm buildings on the same road , any ideas??

DSC02239.jpg

DSC02240.jpg

DSC02243.jpg

re

The second to last picture with the built on stone wall with the flat concrete top next to the gate would of been the place the farm stacked the milk churns for collection,straight off the block on to the cart.

I've looked on GE and on my digital mapping which shows one pillbox. You can see on GE the two you have photographed. The one with the low wall seems to face the old airfield and the other 90deg to the other. The Building beside the pillbox looks like it was built after the war so could hide a second embrasure. They could have been to guard the approach to the airfield. There is a battle HQ nearby did you look at that yet.

The embrasures indicate that these are VMG pillboxes. If there are blocked embrasures they will likely be rifle embrasures. Although looking at how one pb blocks most of the field of fire of the other I doubt thereis an embrasure on that wall as there would have been a risk of friendly fire.

The embrasures indicate that these are VMG pillboxes. If there are blocked embrasures they will likely be rifle embrasures. Although looking at how one pb blocks most of the field of fire of the other I doubt thereis an embrasure on that wall as there would have been a risk of friendly fire.

Just because they're stepped doesn't make them embrasures for vickers...! They're just standard lmg embrasures. They look like standard type26s.

I would say type 26, modified embrasure, LMG. A look inside would be good. I think I can see a Turnbull mount in pic 1.

This is a known type 26 for comparison.

100_1142.jpg

100_1141.jpg

:)

It's definitely a type 26 variant and as Munchh says it does look like a turnbull mount in the first picture. I don't suppose you got any internal pics through the embrasures did you jindivik

It's definitely a type 26 variant and as Munchh says it does look like a turnbull mount in the first picture. I don't suppose you got any internal pics through the embrasures did you jindivik

Hi Jonney, they are Turnball mounts inside which i had a image but i deleted it by mistake, digital world ha !!
im still on feet and inches!!!

Just because they're stepped doesn't make them embrasures for vickers...! They're just standard lmg embrasures. They look like standard type26s.

Nope but the depth of them indicates very thick walls more characteristic of a VMG than a standard type 26. Obviously the presence of Turnbull mounts proves these to be for LMG's. It may be these were strengthened by thickening the walls, the strangely inset lintels might be an indication of this.

Latest posts

Back