Robert Fletcher Mill, Oldham Dec. '09

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mr_bones

Gormless Moderator
Reaction score
Robert Fletcher Ltd. produced and bleached fine quality paper which was largely used in the cigarette industry. The mill is located in a remote area of Oldham, Yorkshire and started production in 1921. Our first view of the building was peaceful with a fair bit of snow having settled in the valley.

Once inside, we realised the true scale of the building - vast rooms sprawling across the site, it seemed that each new part we entered got bigger and better. Havoc and Jaff, our guides led us into the main rolling room - incredibly it looked like we had entered a production line that was ready to spring into action after the Christmas break! The extractor fan was on, the insectocutors were buzzing away and all the machinery looked primed and ready to go.

We made our way round some more of the site, and eventually back the way we came, snapping more shots along the way.

Visited with Havoc, Jaff and Horai.

Pictures:

DSC_0080Medium-1.jpg

DSC_0088Medium.jpg

DSC_0093Large.jpg

DSC_0329Medium.jpg

DSC_0335Medium.jpg

DSC_0345_fhdrMedium.jpg

DSC_0350_fhdrMedium.jpg

DSC_0361_stitch_fhdrMedium.jpg

DSC_0363Medium.jpg

DSC_0365Medium.jpg

DSC_0366Medium.jpg

DSC_0368Medium.jpg

DSC_0369Medium.jpg

DSC_0372Medium.jpg

DSC_0373Medium.jpg

DSC_0374Medium.jpg

DSC_0377Medium.jpg

DSC_0381Medium.jpg

DSC_0383Medium.jpg

DSC_0385_fhdrMedium.jpg

DSC_0387Medium.jpg

DSC_0395_stitchMedium.jpg

DSC_0398Medium.jpg

DSC_0401Medium.jpg

DSC_0403Medium.jpg

DSC_0406Medium.jpg

DSC_0407Medium.jpg

Mr. B :cool:

Last edited:
Excellent!
Is there still power there or have you coloured the socket light?

Just when it seemed that there were no sites left to explore another gem surfaces.

Seeing the paper still woven round those rollers took my breath away - it does seem that workers left and no-one has been back since.

I don't know if I could be trusted in there mind - I'd be too tempted to get the production line working by pressing buttons. ;)

A lovely site and a good report. Very unpikied and original.

Thanks for sharing.

From what I've read about it in the past, I think was mothballed - but nature has overtaken maintenance by the looks of things.

just alittle correction to your otherwise exelent post mate

robert fletchers is located in greenfield saddleworth YORKSHIRE ! and never has never was and never will be in lancs
as some of the the locals will forcefully and violently tell you

great report btw did you have alook at knoll spinning nearer the village centre ?

Really good to see an up to date explore and that everything's still remaining...fab pics and loads to see. Excellent stuff, Mr B. :mrgreen:

Great to see Horai with you. I haven't been on DA for ages, so haven't spoken to him in a while. How's he getting on? :)

Thankyou all for your replies,

Pollen101 - power is still on indeed!

Sausage - i'd recommend the place very highly. I wouldnt have wanted to touch anything though!

Peanuts - I have corrected that, thanks for the warning. We had a look at Knoll earlier last year when Fletchers wasn't accessible.

Foxy - thanks very much. Horai is doing well, and became a grandfather in November!

Cheers TnM, Havoc still isn't keen on his real face being used online :D

Latest posts

Back