Sleaford Bass Maltings - July 2011 (Pic Heavy)

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Priority 7

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Reaction score
A lovely sunny July morning saw Skeleton key and I take a relaxing mooch around the Sleaford Bass Maltings in Lincs.

sleafordold001.jpg

The History

Sleaford ‘Bass’ Maltings was specifically designed to encompass the three key stages in the production of beer. It is easy to imagine just how impressive these buildings must have been in their heyday.

sleafordold002.jpg

The three stages of the beer making process begins with the harvesting of the Barley Malt when the grains are dormant, they contain high concentrations of un-degraded starches. Alcohol production from the malt requires two important ingredients; nutrients to promote yeast growth, and natural sugars like maltose. These are obtained through 'malting', a complex procedure involving steeping, germination, and finally kilning.

Steeping, is roughly a two day process that involves soaking the malt in water and subsequently increases the water content of the kernels from around 10% to 50% and thus stimulating the metabolic processes. The water is periodically drained from the steeping tanks allowing fresh oxygen-rich water to be introduced, and the malt is turned to remove carbon dioxide. As soon as chitting occurs the process is complete.

The next critical step is germination, when the wet Barley kernels are spread out on a malting floor. This four to five day process takes place under strict temperature controls and regular turning to ensure a carefully controlled air flow is introduced to remove further carbon dioxide preventing the rootlets from matting together. Once germination starts, the starches begin to break down into simple sugars. It is these sugars that need to be retained so kilning take place to prevent the loss of these sugars by reducing the moisture in the malt to roughly 4%. This is achieved by blowing hot air through the malt to stop growth, the colour and flavours of the final brew are determined and, by varying the temperature at this point.

sleafordold003.jpg

Considered to be of special architectural and historical interest, the Sleaford Bass Maltings were Grade II listed in 1974, only to suffer considerable damage two years later when a severe fire spread through the central area. Despite the intensity of the blaze, the structural integrity of the buildings remained intact due to the quality of the original construction, and this fact probably played a key role in saving the building from demolition when an application was made in 1982.

Externals

sleaford036.jpg

sleaford033.jpg

sleaford031.jpg

sleaford029.jpg

sleaford028.jpg

sleaford030.jpg

sleaford023.jpg

sleaford013.jpg

sleaford007.jpg

sleaford001.jpg

Internals

sleaford002.jpg

sleaford014.jpg

sleaford010.jpg

sleaford011.jpg

sleaford003.jpg

sleaford022.jpg

sleaford019.jpg

sleaford017.jpg

sleaford015.jpg

sleaford038.jpg

sleaford034.jpg

Thanks for looking

Nice one P7 some great shots bud that’s a great explore you’re a bit brave getting shots round the back with the house’s over the fence lol I was going from one building to the other SAS style when I was there so I never got spotted haha did you get to see the tower and the spiral stair case? Do love the old photos you found of the gaff to mate nice one

I love photos from this place and yours are excellent, great report and explore mate. Has security been stepped up here? If so you did well to avoid them, great stuff!!

Back