St. Anthony's House, Aug. '12

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Archivist

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Reaction score
I've had my eye on this place for the best part of three years, patiently waiting. From the moment I first saw it, I knew it would be a very special place, if only I could get in.

Finally, my patience was rewarded and after a rather acrobatic entry I was in. The house was comfortably furnished in an early-20th century style with dark wooden furniture and overstuffed arm chairs in abundance. In the bedrooms, canopy beds and heavy mirrored dressing tables suggested relative affluence and faded grandeur. Most of the house was dry and clean, but two back rooms were grey with damp and mould, indicating a blocked gutter or leaking roof (perhaps it was this that finally drove the owner out). What really made the place remarkable though was the contents: nearly every room was filled with things, piled high on tables and stacked in boxes and bags, some of them clearly already rifled through by thieves and the curious but most of them left untouched. It seems that the last occupant was latterly a widow, a hoarder, and quite religious. She'd trained at a horticultural college in Kent in the 1930s and seems for much of her life to have been a keen gardener and beekeeper.

This was a very personal explore in more ways than one and I was unusually moved by the sense of loss and sadness about the place.

For reasons which I'm sure you'll appreciate, I will not be giving away any clues to where this is, so please do not ask as a refusal often offends.

1.jpg

From the garden

2.jpg

The sheds were all crammed with old boxes and newspapers.

4.jpg

1958 Austin Cambridge in the garage.

7.jpg

Kitchen with dresser and bells.

8.jpg

Aga with larder to right

5.jpg

In the hallway

6.jpg

Coats

9.jpg

This gave me a start when my torch caught it.

10.jpg

Some of the varied collection of books distributed about the house.

12.jpg

Some of the items in the front room.

13.jpg

Side bedroom

14.jpg

More books

15.jpg

Pictures on the dresser.

17.jpg

Master bedroom

18.jpg

Light fitting.

Thanks for reading,

Arch.

oh wow, as much as i would love the chance to be able to visit a place like this one day I get the whole secretiveness of it - too many wrong people out there!

L x

cracking mate yeah defo keep this one under ya hat good find and thanks for sharing

Great pictures. These places all have a common theme, hoarders of string, paper bags and newspapers. Certainly not part of todays throw away culture.

Great explore, understand keeping it secret as places like this would be chaved quickly if it got out.

Thanks for the comments all, as to acrobatic entry, it involved pivoting through a window and getting stuck and a lot of cursing on the way out, that's all I'm saying. I must admit I'm a bit of a hoarder myself, mostly of books, old maps and ephemera.

Thats a great find. These house finds have become very popular this year and it's a mystery just to how many more may be out there waiting. I certainly hope to find some more myself as it's been a while since I've found anything at all! Thanks for posting.

Oh my what a gem! That does look like a fab explore, well done. Good on you for keeping it under wraps. How incredibly sad though, so many personal possessions and memories. Great report, thanks:)

Fantastic find and the place is filled with a sadness, wonder why the owner left witjout taking her belongings, maybe she planned on returning or sadly passed with no family. The photo's, the coats still hanging up..it's like that faithful old house is patiently stood in a time warp waiting for her to return. How sad.

The secret location is a must, and thank you for sharing..really enjoyed this post.

Back