st.marys ruins ,,dorset

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

freespirits

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Reaction score
hey one and all ,,we have just had a glorious week in beautiful dorset ,,and i managed to find some great splores while there ,,so heres the first one for you

we stayed at a campsite in east stoke and i looked at the os map and found we were next to these old ruins of st marys church ,a 13th century church and churchyard set in a watermeadow ,it was demolished in 1828,with one story suggesting because the fields flooded regularly,people couldnt reach the church ,as it stands near to the river frome ,reports suggest that the south porch was built in the 15th century but the church font which has been found in america was built in the 13th century,,the remaining gravestones are very unreadable but some have been laser scanned and the images documented and preserved for the future,

dorset048.jpg
dorset047.jpg
dorset044.jpg
dorset043.jpg
dorset042.jpg
dorset040.jpg
dorset039.jpg
dorset038.jpg
dorset037.jpg
dorset036.jpg
thanks for looking peeps watch out for the next report

I think this place would have been better visited in the winter as it is mostly overgrown with weeds and did you smudge the lens as the center picture does not look right.

yes mate but camping in winter wouldnt go down well with the kids ,,but i am going back for defo there is so much to see ,,and yes i think because it was getting late and i prob fingered the lens ,,,soz

not much left to see! the demolition seems to have been quite successful. it's interesting though to try to imagine what was there at one time from the remains.

Latest posts

Back