Steetley Magnasite, Hartlepool - Dec 2011

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrdystopia

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Reaction score
This report follows on from my recent revisit to Cerebos Saltworks. After the factory we took a drive to the remains of Steetley Magnasite chemical works. There is very little left of this site but what is left is quite dramatic and imposing. Gigantic concrete reacting chambers and chemical pools. A tall concrete fumes tower is constantly looking down on you and the site has it's own decapitated pier leading to another massive concrete chamber a mile or so out in the North Sea.

Access is really not an issue with somewhere like this. It is open and frequented by dog walkers and kids on motorbikes. They, like me, don't seem too put off by the numerous warnings of ASBESTOS, TOXIC, POISON, HIDDEN DANGER plastered all over the place.

One point to note is that, apart from the odd one with my friend in for a bit of scale, a lot of these remains don't seem as big in the shots as the actually are. Everything is scaled up giving you the feeling of almost having been shrunk.

Sites this far gone will not be to everyone's taste but, as I have said before, I see it all as raw material for composing interesting photos (or not - you be the judge).

8. One for fans of US punkers The Descendents :)

10. WHO IS THAT? Best guess we have so far is lead singer of Jefferson Airplane?

I really just gave the site a quick walk through with the camera rather than doing a proper explore as it was stupidly cold and my extremities were begining to go numb. I intend to revisit soon (or maybe once it's warmer) to get a few more shots. That is, if the metal thieves leave anything of the site by then.

Thanks for reading

MrD

Back