The Grand Hotel, Birmingham - 2015

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheVampiricSquid

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Reaction score
History:
The currently abandoned Grand Hotel is a Grade II Listed Victorian Hotel located in the City of Birmingham. The building was designed by architect Thomson Plevins in a French Renaissance architectural style. Construction began in 1875 and the Hotel opened 4 years later in 1879. Shortly after, in 1890 the hotel operator fell into financial difficulties and the business was handed back to the owners Hortons Estate Ltd. The owners then decided to revamp the Hotel in order to make it more appealing to the luxury market and extensive interior renovations took place, extensions were also built at the rear under the instructions of architecture firm Marin & Chamberlain. These renovations included the building of the Grosvenor Room which boasts a stunning decorative plaster ceiling in Louis XIV style decorations.
The Hotel finally closed in 2002 and has been covered with scaffolding to protect the exterior stonework from falling onto pedestrians since 2012.The currently abandoned Grand Hotel is a Grade II Listed Victorian Hotel located in the City of Birmingham. The building was designed by architect Thomson Plevins in a French Renaissance architectural style. Construction began in 1875 and the Hotel opened 4 years later in 1879. Shortly after, in 1890 the hotel operator fell into financial difficulties and the business was handed back to the owners Hortons Estate Ltd. The owners then decided to revamp the Hotel in order to make it more appealing to the luxury market and extensive interior renovations took place, extensions were also built at the rear under the instructions of architecture firm Marin & Chamberlain. These renovations included the building of the Grosvenor Room which boasts a stunning decorative plaster ceiling in Louis XIV style decorations.

Explore:
After a 4 hour motorbike ride in what can only be described as a torrential downpour I finally found myself at my friends house, and after a quick hello and change of clothes we were off out. We had a somewhat eventful encounter at Dudley hospital, but that's a story for another time;)Eventually we found ourselves outside the grand, and after gaining access I let my friend (aka my tour guide) take us straight to the main attraction.. the ballroom! I was assured the only way down from the balcony was a precarious climb down a 15ft balcony wall.. only to walk round the corner and find a flight of stairs, doh!:confused: Apologies for the lack of pictures, i was amazed by the room and didnt take too many pictures! anyhow, on with some pictures!

21169194406_8b66cf8954_b.jpg

21203313981_1f9fbbe4d4_b.jpg

20572751884_e7f21212a2_b.jpg

20574290693_43109fb63b_b.jpg

21203298331_81b12830c8_b.jpg

I know this is a somewhat controversial site, but seeing as it'public now I hope it's okay to post. If not, please remove - and my apologies. Thanks for looking!:D

A room fit for Kings and Emperors fingers crossed a new use can be found. Nice pics.

Excellent that mate. We drove around this a few weeks ago but was afternoon still gutted we didn't give it a try..

Back