Air Raid Shelters - Hastings

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spacemutt

Reaction score
Not really a proper explore, but I thought I'd post these anyway. I knew the shelters were there, so decided to have a little nosey today as I passed. I didn't have my camera, so had to use my phone camera, and only had my shoes on and it was a bit slippery under foot.

There were 3 or 4 bunkers. It was a bit hard to tell as they are so over-grown with ivy in places. One had a chimney that is quite clear, but couldn't see any openings. The other two had a small exposed arch with bars across it. It could have been a door, not sure. As far as I can see there's no way in without some digging.

12022011239.jpg

Chimney.

12022011236.jpg

Possible original entrance?

12022011237.jpg

Other bunker.

I will go back with my proper boots and camera.

I'd like to see some more shots of this. Liking the chimney still intact!

Finally went back for a poke about. It all looks in very good condition, albeit well hidden. And all within a few feet of a main road! The site has an old track of brick road running up the hill behind it. Another day I will follow that and see where it goes.

The chimney looks good. A little crusty but still servicable. And the inside of the bunkers looks very clean. I guess they were bricked up well before they got trashed.

There were some bits of metal lying about. Possibly period, possibly later. Hard to tell. If the big sheet of metal was period, I guess it would have been a sign. Who knows..

I think there are 3 bunkers. Or could it be one big one with more than one entrance?

IMG_3997.jpg

From the road level. ould be the endge of the bunker, or the top of an entrance?

IMG_3998.jpg

On top. The ground was soft due to people dumping organic matter from the alotments.

IMG_3999.jpg

The chimney.

IMG_4001.jpg

Burried entrance.

IMG_4015.jpg

Inside one of the bunkers.

IMG_4002.jpg

A sign?

IMG_4010.jpg

Something is in there..

IMG_4013.jpg

A bit blury, but possible old fence? Or modern rubbish?

IMG_4017.jpg

Another entrance.

IMG_4009.jpg

Looks clean.

IMG_4018.jpg

Brick track.

And I may have had the while balance on the wrong setting...

For fans of Foyle's War...these would have been the shelters he would have taken cover in. Unless he was standing on the beach, throwing stones at the Hun overhead.

Thank you very much for posting these... especially the chimney ones... it really has got me thinking about a site I have been to which doesnt make sense. It looks like I might have to pluck up some courage and ask the pub owner if I can have a mooch in his grounds. :)

Latest posts

Back