Bennerley Viaduct

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

laww

Reaction score
This is my first post here.
I visited the Bennerley Viaduct on the 24th of August 2024 .
Here is some information i found online about the Bennerley Viaduct :
Bennerley Viaduct is an iconic landmark in the East Midlands . Standing 20 metres high above the valley of the River Erewash, and a quarter of a mile long, it is no surprise it is known as The Iron Giant of the Erewash Valley. The engineer of the viaduct was Samuel Abbot who worked under Richard Johnson The GNRs chief engineer . The Viaduct opened in January 1878 . It was Planed to be demolished in 1974 but those plans fell through due to the cost of dismantling the iron work . it soon feel into disrepair after . it has received fundings since ... and as of 2024 it is open to the public to walk across and enjoy . I hope you enjoy my first post let me know how i can improve and let me know what you think of it . cheers .... laww :)

HERE ARE MY PHOTOS :

Attachments

• viaduct 1.jpg
    viaduct 1.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 7
  • viaduct 5.jpg
    viaduct 5.jpg
    929.5 KB · Views: 0
  • viaduct 8.jpg
    viaduct 8.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
  • viaduct 6.jpg
    viaduct 6.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • viaduct 15.jpg
    viaduct 15.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 0
  • viaduct 13.jpg
    viaduct 13.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 0
  • viaduct 14.jpg
    viaduct 14.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
  • viaduct 24.jpg
    viaduct 24.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 0
  • viaduct 19.jpg
    viaduct 19.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
  • viaduct 20.jpg
    viaduct 20.jpg
    4.4 MB · Views: 0
i agree its a beautiful structure its a shame not many people know about it ... i wish more people could visit and make reports etc of this structure as it happens there is not many reports of it on here .
When one considers the very large number of wrought iron and steel railway bridges that were demolished for scrap following the Beeching Axe, it is strange that the cost factor was what kept this one intact. That it has been saved is good news. Future preservation work may prove expensive.

When one considers the very large number of wrought iron and steel railway bridges that were demolished for scrap following the Beeching Axe, it is strange that the cost factor was what kept this one intact. That it has been saved is good news. Future preservation work may prove expensive.
of course the future preservation is always an unknown with the costs

Back