Farm near Norwich, Norfolk January 2013

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paulytwotanks

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Reaction score
OK let's see if I can get the photos uploaded before the thread is deleted! This is only my second report, please bear with me.
We visited this interesting old farm house and it's outbuildings on a sunny yet blustery January afternoon, the snow having finally melted. The house was actually two properties, but linked by internal doors, so it is possible that two families of the same family of farmers (if that makes sense), once lived here. The accomodation is extensive and is set out on 3 floors. It appears to have been abandoned for many decades because I could find no evidence of fresh water plumbing inside, although there is electrical wiring.

Sometime in the not too distant past some roof repairs have been made to the house and outbuildings, for there are new(ish) timbers and modern under felt in places. However, the whole place now lies abandoned and uncared for. Water has come in through holes in the roof and led to rot in several of the upper floors. It is still 95% explorable with some care.

Of particular note is the magnificent timber framed thatched barn which looks early 18th or possibly 17th century. This barn is still in reasonably good order and I would think it highly likely that it is a listed building. This barn contained a couple of surprises for us: A sleeping fox, who did not wake when we took photos of him, and a beautiful owl, both of whom can be seen in the photos, which I hope you enjoy.

UPDATE FEB 2013: I've done a bit of research into this place and found that it is currently owned by a Norwich firm of property developers, who own several properties in the area. So I assume in time they will be wanting to develop the site, which hopefully means no more than converting the outbuildings to homes and restoring the house. So it seems strange they havent taken steps to preserve the house from the iminent ruin it will soon become.

Thatchedbarn1_zps4f2ee6ad.jpg

Outside7_zps73c62670.jpg

Outside2_zpsc312749f.jpg

Outside3_zps0e5dac34.jpg

Outside4_zps6f3e0a04.jpg

Outside1_zpsd57e02fe.jpg

DSCF7137_zpse7bff5b7.jpg

DSCF7147_zpse4613d1b.jpg

DSCF7152_zps7a5030cc.jpg

DSCF7155_zpsd58c154b.jpg

DSCF7161_zps945edffb.jpg

DSCF7165_zpsd46569a4.jpg

DSCF7180_zps45c2101f.jpg

DSCF7182_zps9d40586a.jpg

Thatchedbarn3_zpsbc464ca5.jpg

Outbuildings4_zps02a9aa90.jpg

Thatchedbarn2_zps5e8cc248.jpg

Outside9_zpsd01b4e08.jpg

DSCF7207_zps778baa15.jpg

DSCF7211_zps406fce90.jpg

DSCF7213_zps3fdc4ef8.jpg

Dscf7215A_zps50242c3c.jpg

DSCF7210_zpsdc57d111.jpg

Outside13_zpsb8868144.jpg

Last edited:
I did get the IMG code, copied them all and posted them. Don't know what has happened!

Nice to see the line shafting still in place in the barn rafters, and the old boiling copper,I would have thought that would have gone long ago, well done..

I got blocked in by a local psycho at the 'gate' when I visited, then I followed him home, he poohed himself, agressive old git so he was!

Nice to see it again fella :)

Ah we were lucky then, never encountered anyone. Silly old fool should have minded his own business!

Ah we were lucky then, never encountered anyone. Silly old fool should have minded his own business!

Well, thing is, its open ground as you know, and dog walkers and everyone are around those parts so what harm was being done?

I am the most laid back bugger you could come across but this nimby in his 4x4 really got up my hooter..... This farm is easier to get into than Jordan's knickers so thats what peed me off when he boxed me in on common land..... :neutral:

We had two dog walkers in front of us at that farm......

this nimby in his 4x4 really got up my hooter..... This farm is easier to get into than We had two dog walkers in front of us at that farm......

Don't hold your breath when it comes to the present owners refurbishing the farm house any time soon. I know this place well, the wife has a cousin living nearby, and it has been slowly decaying for some time. However, don't take missing water taps as an indicator as this and a number of other similar properties had/still have perfectly adequate wells.

The 'nimby' is the reason why the barn can be found with its resident fox (a young male from last year's family I think) and owl, and why the more devious 'reclamation' brethren with their chain saws have not removed some of the larger barn roof timbers, so that they can grace some naff kitchen conversion. This has happened over the years to similar properties in the area.

The local wild life is rarely disturbed by the local dog walkers, but unfortunately they soon become very wary when people start tramping around their sleeping quarters. An unfortunate side effect of frequent visitations to this type of property.

Back