Gros Ouvrage Billig - France - October 2012

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

saul_son

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Reaction score
The Gros Ouvrage Billig became operational in 1935, it consisted of 7 fighting blocks and a mixed entry for munitions and hommes. Billig came under little direct attack but did fire 2030 75mm rounds, in one day, in support of another fort at Hackenberg. After the armistice with the Germans parts of the fort were used for explosives testing, a role that the US Army would also use it for after it was captured in 1944.

More history.

It's not the best Maginot fort I've visited but, there's some interesting things left. Visited with Rookinella.

BiM6_zps91ba67f7.jpg

BiM1_zps4f2ce5ea.jpg

BiM4_zps9bc25a97.jpg

BiM3_zpsb2cf4bfc.jpg

BiM2_zpsd8ff589d.jpg

BiM5_zps51532205.jpg

BiM7_zps007d4214.jpg

BiM8_zps0db3b7e7.jpg

BiM9_zps9db68d52.jpg

BiM11_zps5a48df72.jpg

BiM13_zpsd94a72cf.jpg

BiM10_zps080d24c6.jpg

BiM12_zps4ed3f7e5.jpg

BiM14_zpsa1e21dbd.jpg

Some very nice features there. 7 fighting blocks - a real monster :cool:

I crushed the blacks in this photo to get something out of it worth looking at so the actual smoke was even worse than it looks here...

Just reread your post about the arson attack - did you find the Army surplus respirators helped?

Some really great pictures in both reports by the way :cool:

Visited in the summer mate, it would be June or early July.

We didn't get to use the respirators in there Chris because we had conflicting info about which ouvrage the fire was in and thought it was Welschof, not Billig. Entry to Billig is quite an ordeal (to say the least!) and so once we were inside we couldn't face going back out again to get the rezzys and the O2 meter so we called it a do after we reached the usine and found the smoke cascading like a waterfall down from an area a few feet away. The area beneath the entry route was smoke free and really interesting so we figured we hadn't missed too much otherwise. Having seen Saul's pix though I think we need to do it again if only for the kitchens which are pretty cool.

Entry to Billig is quite an ordeal (to say the least!) and so once we were inside we couldn't face going back out again
I've been in a few sites like that :mrgreen:

Horrible when you find you've left the tripod or spare camera memory card back in the car

Loving all the maginot line stuff, thanks for the pics

Latest posts

Back