Hair Salon, Carlton. March 2024

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ParysPerspective

A nice, welcoming peach
Reaction score
This isn’t going to be the best report, simply because I don’t know the name of the place so I’m struggling to find any history. The earliest Google Maps Streetview goes back for this road is 2009 and even then it was boarded (but in a different style of boards as to now) and some broken windows. And overgrowth still present back then. So no clues there. I’m going to take a stab and say this could have closed around 2000s.

Access was easy, if a little brambley. I didn’t fancy venturing upstairs much as it’s didn’t look that safe and it was a solo explore.

Wonder how many blue rinses they did?

IMG_1392.jpeg
IMG_1393.jpeg
IMG_1394.jpeg
IMG_1395.jpeg
IMG_1396.jpeg
IMG_1397.jpeg
IMG_1399.jpeg
IMG_1400.jpeg
IMG_1401.jpeg
IMG_1402.jpeg
IMG_1404.jpeg
IMG_1405.jpeg
IMG_1406.jpeg
IMG_1407.jpeg
IMG_1408.jpeg
IMG_1409.jpeg
IMG_1410.jpeg
IMG_1412.jpeg

longer ago than 2000 I would say. Most hair was dried with a handheld drier around then. But if those walls could talk you'd find plenty of gossip!

longer ago than 2000 I would say. Most hair was dried with a handheld drier around then. But if those walls could talk you'd find plenty of gossip!
Oh yes. I can only imagine the village gossip that happened here! “Now, you didn’t hear this from me, but you that Ethel down t’road? Well…” :eek::ROFLMAO:

Knowing that the hood type hair dryer was common in British hairdressers' shops from the 1950s, I'd have thought this place would have had at least one. I've attached two pics: one from the 1890s, a gas heated dryer; and one from 1932.

Attachments

• Hair dryer - 1890s copy.jpg
    Hair dryer - 1890s copy.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 0
  • Hair dryer 1932 copy.jpg
    Hair dryer 1932 copy.jpg
    264.9 KB · Views: 0
Knowing that the hood type hair dryer was common in British hairdressers' shops from the 1950s, I'd have thought this place would have had at least one. I've attached two pics: one from the 1890s, a gas heated dryer; and one from 1932.
The hood hairdryers would have been behind each of those orange chairs. They always seemed to be in rows of at least six. The hairdryers have obviously gone AWOL

The hood hairdryers would have been behind each of those orange chairs. They always seemed to be in rows of at least six. The hairdryers have obviously gone AWOL
Almost certainly. Seeing the bank of Rexine covered chairs reminds me of how sticky it could get. Bare arms and legs would stick to the surface. Yuk! That Victorian hair dryer looks more like something out of a Hammer horror film. Turn on the gas and don't light it - one dead customer.

"Well, as you know I'm not one to gossip, but....." I had a look on the Radio Museum website and the National Panasonic Radio/Cassette was made in the early seventies. So I'm putting the salon to be operating in the seventies. Probably listening to Mud, Donny Osmond, The Rubettes, KC and The Sunshie Band while getting their hair done.

Latest posts

Back