Hellingly - December 2008.

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Why are you so stuck on the idea that someone did that for the fun of it? No one is that stupid. There could be a number of reasons why there's a burnt out car there.

Haha! You havent been to where I live obviously! Fools burn out cars in the middle of nowhere all the time for fun, its quite normal!:)

Good stuff, some nice discussion there about Hellingly as well. I find the designs of the asylums fascinating in terms of their purpose and the developments in design as ideas and treatment changed.

Thanks for the info Pete.

Last edited:
as we are about to revisit hellingly i was wondering if there's any morgue in there? (or maybe remainings of it)

Haha! You havent been to where I live obviously! Fools burn out cars in the middle of nowhere all the time for fun, its quite normal!:)

Oh I know, but Liam's implying that they burnt their ride home. No one is THAT stupid... are they?! :O

Hine was involved with at least 22 asylum sites, including 14 whole new complexes and 2 major expansion programs which involved more than doubling capacity of the site.
Many of Hine's recreation halls are very similar or at least clearly related often differing only in the stage surrounds, and followed a theme he used of combining certain stuctural componenets at different sites. Despite claims of 'rubber stamping' designs across the country, only two of his works were actually (almost) identical and there was considerable variation in layout between others. On the ground though its still possible to see the relationship between many of the asylums as visually his particular style pervades all his later asylums.

In addition to Hellingly and St. Mary's, surviving images of Long Grove, Horton, Bexley, Barnsley Hall and Hill End show them to be very similar, as was Rauceby prior to the replacement of it's roof. The surviving structures at Park Prewett, Netherne, Cefn Coed and Claybury also share the same design but are rather more ornate (particularly at Claybury, which was also larger). Cherry Knowle and Mapperly differ by being sited under the chapel and Herrison and The Towers are both much smaller, The Towers at least appears very similar to the larger halls. Bizarrely by comparison, almost every Hine chapel was unique and individual to its complex.

Pete

Out of curiosity, which ones??

Edit - you can spot a hine from his style of bay-window, with the point roof's

Last edited:
The replicated sites were Bexley and Horton hospitals, both of which were for the London County Council and intentionally copied for expediency of the planning stage (by using a design for Horton which had already gained approval at Bexley). They differ mainly in the placement of peripheral structures such as villas and chapel which formed part of the original composition and in the construction of the nurses accomodation blocks at the south of each complex. Both comprised of slate roof with sand-coloured stock brick.

Hines buildings are particularly identifiable by their overall composition, reliance on banding using coloured brick/reconstituted stone lintels. The appearance of the water towers where present also identifies a continuity (despite various embellishments) between sites. Pitch of roof varies between sites depending on age, the earlier Mapperley, Herrison, Cherry Knowle and Claybury structures having an appreciably steeper pitch than the later asylums giving a more gothic appearance.

Pete

some more of my photos : )

3167665811_d8e2e346ce_o.jpg

my autoportrait:)
3168216598_65061cdb4d_o.jpg

3164886926_f815bd85c8_o.jpg

3156456254_b451a7bf74_o.jpg

3151804124_11b2b6dd0a_o.jpg

as for my questions about mortuary - the answer is. Yes there is one

Ah yes, I had read that, I think I even have it on my website :rolleyes: Wasn't Long Grove a close copy too (although the position of Admin is different)...?

Just found this also

http://www.bexleyhospital.co.uk/

:)

Long Grove is very similar in plan, the main complex being based closely on bexley/horton. Long Grove clearly represented an attempt not to directly replicate gain though. The buildings are of red brick as opposed to yellow stock, there are proportionately greater number of villas and a chronic female ward is omitted from the main building. The admin is placed at the south (as at Claybury and Park Prewett) for accessibilty from horton lane despite professional preference and convention usually siting this block to the north to isloate it from the airing courts and keep it with other service areas. Only the gate houses at Horton and Long Grove are identical. More prominent structures such as the admin block, two storey villas and the water tower were also somewhat more elaborate too. The neo-georgian chapel at bexley/horton was also not replicated and a heavily banded and more traditional example, more akin to hellingly's was built.

Pete

Long Grove is very similar in plan, the main complex being based closely on bexley/horton. Long Grove clearly represented an attempt not to directly replicate gain though. The buildings are of red brick as opposed to yellow stock, there are proportionately greater number of villas and a chronic female ward is omitted from the main building. The admin is placed at the south (as at Claybury and Park Prewett) for accessibilty from horton lane despite professional preference and convention usually siting this block to the north to isloate it from the airing courts and keep it with other service areas. Only the gate houses at Horton and Long Grove are identical. More prominent structures such as the admin block, two storey villas and the water tower were also somewhat more elaborate too. The neo-georgian chapel at bexley/horton was also not replicated and a heavily banded and more traditional example, more akin to hellingly's was built.

Pete

Interesting. Shame there aren't more photos of Long Grove :(

Your knowledge is impressive

Latest posts

Back