River Cottage feb 2014

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ninja Kitten

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Reaction score
I really enjoy all the big major epic stuff we do, but i must admit these little houses are my favourite, i just love them so much..This little place is so remote and just tumbling down back to natures hands.. a beautiful river winds its way around it..and the odd sheep that jumped out to spook me was all that was there..the only downside to the wander was i didnt have my besty PS with me and the only way to it was the river which ended up way way above my knees:) I hope you enjoy her as i did.....​

River Cottage.....

jnkjkljkj_zpsd1aaf518.jpg

gg_zps9cff275e.jpg

hjuu_zps4ded5a6f.jpg

dsds_zpsbf1c04b8.jpg

ghjkjk_zps6c42bc8a.jpg

ty_zps067586ee.jpg

brilliant pics.and I totally agree with you.there is something special about the little places.they usually have so much character.

Love these remote little spots....real treasures....that place has some age to it!....thanks for posting.

Oh this is a beautiful report! The location is wonderful, I want to live there, needs a bit of dusting inside first though :D The pics are ace, you just get better and better Miss Kitten :)

My that's lovely NK especially the last shot with the earth closet and monster radio

I second those comments. If I have interpreted the image of the earth commode correctly, then you have photographed what is quite a rare item these days. Your photograph seems to indicate that there is a 'control panel' let into the front, righthand corner of the seat panel. If this is so, then you have here one of the later Moule patented commodes or a licence built item. The inset panel held a lever, which when moved dumped a measured quantity of earth - held in the upright wooden cabinet on the back of the seat panel - onto the contents in the pail under the seat.

The link given by Oldscrote also highlights a fact that is mostly only known to families whose aged relations used these things well into the 20th C - one tended to treat the contents of the pail as one does a cat litter tray. The contents of a full pail were allowed to dry out in a wooden box, the faecal matter was removed and the earth recycled back into the container cabinet. These commodes relied on the natural bacteria occurring in the dry soil to help prevent unpleasant smells in the dwelling, and as fresh supplies of really dry earth took time to prepare it was only natural to try and extend the usage of your dry supply. The reliance on the natural bacterias in the earth to 'remove' odours is why the instructions illustrated in the link tell the person to rise quickly after use and cover the contents. No sitting on the bog reading a book in those days - even if you could afford the candle!

Back