Rochfort House/Tudenham Park, Ireland

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Egret

Reaction score
- Hi all, this is my first report on this site so feedback appreciated!

History

Tudenham park has an interesting history behind it.

Rochfort family of the Midlands were notorious for their eccentric and scandalous conduct. The head of the family, Robert, b. 1704, was an MP for Westmeath. He became a baron in 1738 and was a favourite with George III. But in 1746 he was challenged to a dual by another MP, Richard Herbert, over a matter of 'honour'. Both men were seriously wounded- Herbert received a bullet in the eye that came out of the back of his skull- but both survived. Herbert was said to have 'never been the same again,' and Rochfort's behaviour also changed, causing his family misery.
Robert lived at Beldevere House, the family's villa on the shores of Lough Ennell. When he heard rumours that his second wife Mary (who he had married when she was just 16), had been cheating on him with his brother Arthur, he had her locked up in the family home at Gaulstown until his death 31 years later. After 12 years of captivity she attempted to escape, but was recaptured and punished harshly. When she was released she was 'out of her mind' and died soon after. Robert then took his brother Arthur to court for 'Criminal Conversation' (basically, adultery), and Arthur was fined 2,000 pounds. Unable to pay, he fled the country, but on returning years later Robert had him thrown into Debtor's prison where he died, still unable to afford the fine.

But where does Tudeham Park fit into all this? Well, Tudenham Park was originally called Rochfort House and was built by Robert's other brother George on the grounds owned by the Rochforts on which Beldevere House also stood (and still stands as a visitor centre). It was completed in 1742, and was a proper 'Big House', much larger than the villa that was Beldevere, where Robert was living. By 1760 Robert was so annoyed at the sight of his brother's grander house that he built the largest folly in Ireland, a mock ruin called the 'jealous wall', to block the sight from his windows.

Rochfort House remained in the Rochfort family until 1836, when it was sold to Sir Francis Hopkins, who changed the name to 'Tudenham Park'. In 1870s it changed hands again, this time to the Tottenham family.

During both World Wars the house was used as a convalescent home for army officers. The Tottenham family moved out in 1952, leaving it vacant, and in 1958 it suffered a fire that left it roofless. The ruin and surrounding grounds have been sold several times since.

Last year they were offered for sale again, but as of now the house sits falling into further ruin, the stables built underneath used to shelter cows.

Explore

This one was trickier than expected for such a rural setting. It was down a tiny lane we missed a few times, and the entrance to the field the house stands in was overlooked by a new build with a huge glass front. There were people sitting behind the window, but they were scrolling on their phones and didn't look like they cared, so we quickly climbed into the field and headed for the house. The farmer who currently owns it had erected an eight-foot fence around it, which seemed like overkill so far away from civilisation, and was very annoying since we were in a hurry. But where there's a will there's a way, and after a scout around the perimeter sent me straight back to the start to avoid catching the attention of a bull in the field, I made it over.

I had no idea what I would find and was prepared just to take some exterior shots, but discovered that the servant's basement quarters were entirely preserved (minus any furniture etc. which had all burnt away). There were some beautiful brick vaulted ceilings, and the whole place was a huge dark labyrinth of tall passages and underground halls.
I would have liked some time to take some more artistic shots than the ones I hastily snapped as I explored, and was hoping to climb up the walls a bit to take photos from higher up, but before I had even familiarised myself with the servant's quarters properly I heard my exploring pal yelling from outside the fence. Turned out the two farmers who presumably owned the land we were on had turned up to bang in fenceposts around the field. Guessing that anyone who had troubled to put up that eight-foot fence wouldn't be too happy to see us poking around, I hurried back over and we made a dash for the car under the trees while their backs were turned.

Photos

P1180511.JPG

P1180380.jpg

P1180389.jpg

^ Haven't seen this before, but the house is built on a rise, and the stables at the back actually extended under the house

P1180403.jpg
P1180497.JPG

P1180433.jpg

P1180443.jpg

P1180477.jpg

P1180495.JPG

P1180505.JPG

P1180509.JPG

P1180472.jpg
P1180507.JPG

P1180501.JPG

P1180503.JPG

Sorry about the bad quality of the pics, not the camera's fault but mine during an overcomplicated downloading process.
Hope you enjoyed!

Attachments

• P1180498.JPG
    P1180498.JPG
    504.4 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Latest posts

Back