St Martins Deep Shelter - Dover - Nov 2011

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nelly

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Reaction score
Splored with Skeleton Key, UrbanX, Wevsky, SpaceInvader, Troglodyte, Mrs Troglodyte, Urban Ginger and Ian

Planning for this battery situated just south east of the Drop Redoubt started around 1853 and completed in the 1870's and was updated at the begining of the second world war, this included the building of the Deep Underground Shelter

IMG_3648.jpg

The battery housed 10" RML guns which protectively looked out over The Straits of Dover in The English Channel

10inchRML.jpg

IMG_3649.jpg

IMG_3650.jpg

In 1867 a gun exploded during the saluting of the Sultan departing Dover, killing a gunner by ripping his arm off and injuring two others of the crew. The gunner was named Andrew McDowell and his grave can still be found in St. James's cemetery

mcdowellk.jpg

Sadly the bottom half has broken off but the rest reads: "...by the Officers and Non-Com Officers, Gunners and Trumpeteers, No.1 Battery, 2nd Brigade, R.A., to the memory of Gunner Andrew McDowell of the above battery who was killed by acident in the Drop Battery, at Dover..."

The Deep Shelter

IMG_3646.jpg

IMG_3645.jpg

The Deep Shelter has suffered several cave-ins

IMG_3643.jpg

IMG_3640.jpg

IMG_3638.jpg

IMG_3636.jpg

IMG_3634.jpg

IMG_3637.jpg

IMG_3632.jpg

Thanks for looking

:)

Last edited:
Was yet another great weekends and a big thanks To the guys from Kent and all who made it down yet another good get together.
Nelly great post mate and considering "You dont do tunnels";) You were outstanding .
UrbanX ,youre rallying skills are second to none :mrgreen:

SK :)

Was yet another great weekends and a big thanks To the guys from Kent and all who made it down yet another good get together.
Nelly great post mate and considering "You dont do tunnels";) You were outstanding .
UrbanX ,youre rallying skills are second to none :mrgreen:

SK :)

It was indeed a good day and I popped my "Tunnel" cherry ;)

Great report there and some superb research especally on the gunner who was killed. I do wonder how long the shelter will last looking at the corrosion on the steelwork. :)

Great report there and some superb research especally on the gunner who was killed. I do wonder how long the shelter will last looking at the corrosion on the steelwork. :)

It lasted long enough for me to get back up to daylight mate!!!! That's the main thing !!!

Got all the guys to turn their torches off and its the first time I have ever experienced pure darkness, literally couldn't see your hand in front of your face

Blimey thats a quick report! Not even looked at my pics yet! For someone that doesn't do tunnels and has never lightpainred before this is an astounding report!
Was an epic day, I look forward to seeing the rest of your pics.

Glad to see you enjoyed your first proper underground experience and the piccies are top notch too !! I think that for sheer thrill factor nothing brings out the excited little boy in you more than a pitch black subterranian explore !! Trust me - i have the mental age of a seven year old !!!:mrgreen:

is that 28gayslater graffiti still in the bunker lol?

That made me chuckle.

Those cave ins look recent, or are they from the top of the back stairs?

is that 28gayslater graffiti still in the bunker lol?

That made me chuckle.

Those cave ins look recent, or are they from the top of the back stairs?

There is some Urm? 28 related graffiti in there, I've edited some out of one of my piccies as it's just not suitable for Foxy's delicate eyes ;) (But the original can be seen on my report on 28 as I knew the intended victim would see the funny side)

And yep it's the caved in stuff towards the rear entrance ;)

There is some Urm? 28 related graffiti in there, I've edited some out of one of my piccies as it's just not suitable for Foxy's delicate eyes ;)

Then to protect her ears I won't post the video I took of you exiting said deep shelter :p
Awesome pics again Nelly, I think in a few of yours i.e. one before last, the floor looks almost fluid because of moving dust and an uber long exposure? Nice :)

Last edited:
Back