The continuation of the Kennet

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sennelager66

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Reaction score
Back out again for a little tow path exercise concentrating on the Newbury to Hungerford section of the Kennet.
This is the continued documentation along the Kennet and i eventually will aim to cover the whole of the canal stretch. The further out into the Hungerford area - there is more variety, older bridges which were used to cover the defences and there is more evidence in the area of hedgehogs and anti tank rails the further east i went. Running close to the rail line this makes logical sense.

The first day i went out cycling with a mate and having him along certainly helped but being a Sunday there was a time limit of three hours to cycle from Newbury to Hungerford with a patient pause to take in the documentation. Having whetted my appetite - i then decided to go out again alone and take a more casual approach to locating and exploring the surrounds.

Anyhow...........

Located on the north bank of Monkey Marsh Bridge
PILLBOX (TYPE FW3/22): S0001704
EDOBID: 3291

Sat on a private path - as soon as i stepped through the gate to photograph the PB i was challenged. Having explained myself and my intentions, i was allowed to carry on.

021.jpg

023.jpg

024.jpg

Popping the camera through the grill and sealed off entrance - the only internal shot i could get that was of interest. Part of the original design? or just a fancy attempt to limit access.

026.jpg

ANTI TANK VERTICAL RAIL: S0008852
EDOBID: 17133
Location - the old bridge support for the Lambourn Valley Railway bridge. Situated on the south bank. The southern support for the rail line and indeed the old rail line has long disappeared to make way for a housing estate.
The only evidence i could find:

028.jpg

029.jpg

030.jpg

031.jpg

032.jpg

The view of the North Bank.

034.jpg

PILLBOX (TYPE FW3/22): S0008850
EDOBID: 3927
Enborne Lock. Sat on the North bank and hidden away behind the foliage is this type 22. If i wasn't specifically looking i wouldn't have found it but there is an historical marker plaque which offers the pointer.

039.jpg

040.jpg

041.jpg

Sat next to the bridge and across from the PB.

036.jpg

PILLBOX (TYPE FW3/22): S0008847
EDOBID: 3925
West of Pickletimber railway bridge. This is one of the two PB's defending the bridge and it's approaches. As i was with my mate at this time i didn't explore the other PB on the south side of the bridge.

055.jpg

048.jpg

The view from the entrance overlooking the rail arch. This would be a good connecting link between the two Pb's.

051.jpg

054.jpg

Benham Bridge on North bank.
PILLBOX (TYPE FW3/22): S0008843
EDOBID: 3923

059.jpg

058.jpg

057.jpg

Structurally tidy except the usual crappy vandalism.

061.jpg

062.jpg

ANTI TANK VERTICAL RAIL: S0008846
EDOBID: 9417

Located on the South side of the bridge between the two Pb's.

063.jpg

064.jpg

065.jpg

067.jpg

068.jpg

North side:

070.jpg

What looks like the foundations for a post in the lower section of the image.

069.jpg

PILLBOX (TYPE FW3/22): S0008844
EDOBID: 3924

West side of the bridge.

071.jpg

072.jpg

073.jpg

074.jpg

075.jpg

077.jpg

078.jpg

Your spoiling all my fun here, What am I going to post when I get down that way?. Good work there and good to know they are there and where to look. If you want hidden pillboxes get up to Theale and see if you can make out the one at the mill and the one further along. How far do nyou get going by bike?, I had thought of useing mine along there. :)

Hitting rougher terrain over towards Hungerford and i understand this is almost up to Devizes. There are a few i have missed as some are on the south bank and i will need to go cross country at a lock to get to them. The challenge is on to get them though. I missed one in Newbury and the ironic thing is i was looking in it's direction. Last night i got totally caked in mud from the tracks.

I got the one over on the other side of the train track but another marked up near a bridge i couldn't find for the life of me. Additional research i think.

Getting out on those tow paths is fantastic exercise and there are a few decent pubs along the route for food and refreshments.:mrgreen:

It looks like it doesn't it. The further down the line there is more evidence of this. I shall post these up on this thread as an edit. i shall not admit to submitting the thread too early.:lol:

There is a great cluster of three pillboxes a little further down and two of these were type 28's sat next to each other. The view was commanding and i understand reading the history of the PB's that a 6 pounder was traversed between the two if needed. I also found an anti tank cylinder laying next to a bench laying on it side. This was on the tow path below the two type 28's. The transporting ring was missing though.

It looks like it doesn't it. The further down the line there is more evidence of this. I shall post these up on this thread as an edit. i shall not admit to submitting the thread too early.:lol:

There is a great cluster of three pillboxes a little further down and two of these were type 28's sat next to each other. The view was commanding and i understand reading the history of the PB's that a 6 pounder was traversed between the two if needed. I also found an anti tank cylinder laying next to a bench laying on it side. This was on the tow path below the two type 28's. The transporting ring was missing though.

So what book was that . The one I read was Ironsides line.

Another superb report fella, as oldscrote said "Love the anti tank rails". I second that.... Brilliant pics

Yet more crackin stuff !! A few years back i walked the section from Kintbury stn to Pickletimber Bridge in the early morning sunshine of a blisteringly hot June day and forgot to take any water with me. By the time i arrived back into Kintbury village i was nearly dead !!!:mrgreen: I certainly learnt a lesson that day !! I also learnt that summer is not necessarilly the best time to find pillboxes and so will have to make a return trip soon !!! Keep up the good work !! Perhaps me and Mr C can make a date !!

I rapidly learnt to take more drink than i think i ever need. It's not fun running out knowing there is another 8 miles or so of walking/cycling to go. The early morning sun or late afternoon certainly highlight the autumnal feel.

More great work and enjoyable perusing to be had in this thread Sen. Took me a while to get around to this thread as I've been a little preoccupied. It was well worth the wait, thanks for posting. :)

PS I think cpt pies has been permanently logged in since you started posting here. I don't know if he's married but if he is, you might find yourself cited in divorce proceedings. :lol:

...........................I also learnt that summer is not necessarilly the best time to find pillboxes..........................

Oh fluff! wakey wakey. :lol:

:lol:
I finally got my new camera batteries today after having a slight accident getting over a barbed wire fence. Unceremoniously dumped head first with my leg tangles up in the top of the fence. Not cut thankfully as i was layered up in sloppy joes but as i crossed the field, i slipped in cow muck, sunk in a boggy bit of the field and to add insult to injury my camera battery had somehow come unclipped and had disappeared. Having a proper sweat on i decided to continue photographing on th iphone. I decided on two batteries just in case i have another slip up. The rest of the post will be added here in a while.

So the continuation begins. This was just prior to me loosing my camera battery so apologies if the standard of photo drops. Back on it again tomorrow with an early start to plot those i msised and then out past Hungerford.

This type 22. Shellproof and in good condition. It isn't detailed on the Dob layer and is located on the North bank of the Kennet between Benham Weir to the East and Benham Bridge. Misplaced or lust not detailed?

079.jpg

North Embrasure.

080.jpg

East embrasure.

081.jpg

Internally very clean.

082.JPG

083.jpg

084.jpg

085.jpg

PILLBOX (TYPE FW3/22): S0008841
EDOBID: 3922
Benham Weir

Possibly surveyed twice as it has two references.

086.jpg

Stood precariously on the outer edge to the Weir - a veiw of the North facing entrance and the East Embrasure. Very damp and slipper all around so care was taken to to slip! The PB would have commanded the Weir itself but not an advance from North to South as can be seen.

087.JPG

088.jpg

089.jpg

The RG20 Crew have visited. Honoured with that!!. There was a laptop bag and other evidence of possibly electrical items!!

090.jpg

Going au naturelle for a moody shot.

092.jpg

093.jpg

094.jpg

Hamstead Lock
Type 22 pillbox set low in ground with embrasures at road level. Sat on the West side of the North bank
EDOBID: 3684

The view from on the bridge. Sat very low and almost completely hidden.

095.jpg

East facing Embrasure
096.jpg

097.jpg

099.jpg

PILLBOX (TYPE FW3/22): S0006477
EDOBID: 3685

Sat on the opposite side of the road on the North bank.

100.jpg

South facing

101.jpg

102.jpg

103.jpg

PILLBOX (TYPE FW3/22): S0008839
EDOBID: 3920
The PB where i was upended on the barbed wire. If anyone finds a camera battery - let me know. :lol:
The view from the West. Sat close to the tow path, in a boggy field and such endearing memories!

105.jpg

South facing onto the canal.

106.jpg

After the blood, sweat and tears - onto the iphone....

IMG_0088.JPG

IMG_0089.jpg

IMG_0091.jpg

Harsh image.

IMG_0094.jpg

I then missed out a tract of land detailing other PB's to visit (tomorrow thankfully) and went from Kintbury Station to Hungerford. (I shall get to those 28's and AT blocks / Rails tomowwow)

ANTI TANK VERTICAL RAIL: S0008826
EDOBID: 9416

IMG_0100.jpg

IMG_0101.jpg

Further down the lane on the North bank

IMG_0102.jpg

The view up the lane looking South

IMG_0103.jpg

IMG_0104.jpg

IMG_0105.jpg

Kintbury Bridge 78
ANTI TANK VERTICAL RAIL: S0008825
EDOBID: 9415

IMG_0107.jpg

Located at the top and mid section were cut off support rails. This is the mid section.

IMG_0108.JPG

South side of the bridge on the West.

IMG_0106.jpg

PILLBOX (TYPE FW3/22): S0008824
EDOBID: 3913
Sat on the Northern side of the train track and i sall not admit to taking these photos.

IMG_0110.jpg

IMG_0111.jpg

IMG_0112.jpg

IMG_0109.jpg

IMG_0114.jpg

Brunsdon Lock
EDOBID: 12072
Marked up as a vertical rail but this is evidence of sockets situated on the northern end of the bridge only.

IMG_0115.jpg

IMG_0116.jpg

IMG_0095.jpg

Across the train track again and on the northern section.
Located before crossing the bridge is marked up as having a PB but i never found this in the undergrowth. It might be there and worth me checking for again.

IMG_0117.JPG

PILLBOX (TYPE FW3/22): S0008821
EDOBID: 3911
At edge of towpath on North bank of the Kennet between Dunmill Lock and Wire Lock.

IMG_0121.jpg

The view from the eastern approach.

IMG_0123.jpg

PILLBOX (TYPE FW3/22): S0006478
EDOBID: 3686
Denford Mill Gate, North of Kennet and Avon Canal near Dunmill Lock Bridge.

IMG_0124.jpg

IMG_0125.jpg

IMG_0126.jpg

IMG_0127.jpg

IMG_0128.jpg

Crossing over the bridge to the south side.......on the roadside.????

IMG_0130.jpg

On the other side of the hedge in the field.

IMG_0131.jpg

PILLBOX (TYPE FW3/28A): S0006479
EDOBID: 7819
Two 28's sat next to each other with the service road to transport the armour if ever needed. I can imaging a gun drill being undertaken with much swearing and time trials as the switch is done between the two.

IMG_0133.jpg

IMG_0132.jpg

IMG_0134.jpg

IMG_0135.jpg

IMG_0137.jpg

IMG_0144.jpg

PILLBOX (TYPE FW3/28A): S0006480
EDOBID: 7820

IMG_0140.jpg

Heavy frost damage exists on both Pb's.

IMG_0141.jpg

A precarious slip and drop of 25 foot.

IMG_0142.jpg

IMG_0143.jpg

IMG_0145.jpg

IMG_0146.jpg

Railtrack to the south and the canal to the north.

IMG_0147.jpg

IMG_0148.jpg

Down on the tow path and directly below EDOBID: 7820 is this AT Cylinder.
Kicking away the nettles to get a better view, the ring is missing but there is still evidence of the mount.

IMG_0153.jpg

IMG_0154.jpg

IMG_0155.jpg

There is more to come and i hope you enjoy the photos. Apologies again for the polaroid quality is the iphone but i was not to be beaten on this occasion. Back to my normal camera from now on......

Thanks for viewing.

PS I think cpt pies has been permanently logged in since you started posting here. I don't know if he's married but if he is, you might find yourself cited in divorce proceedings. :lol:

I've ordered a rubber suit just like Jonneys, I told the Mrs I'm taking up surfing :mrgreen:

Senn, The missing pillbox at Benham is S0008840 and on the latest version of the overlay is in approximately the correct position now.

Once again an excellent days work many thanks.
I do wonder about photos 36-37 Kintbury bridge.could the vertical rail there be in fact a weight limit sign support post like this one

Most bridges on the K and A had them but over the years the scrappies and the souvenir hunters have had most of em away

Back