The continuation of the Kennet

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've seen and photographed them. I've just been out again. Wet. Knackered and happy. I shall post up my findings when I'm home. I don't think the commuters will like the heady smell of cow muck, mud and contending with a muddy bike. I might as well continue this thread as one blog.

As mentioned i went out again today to get to those areas i had to miss out on a few days back. The day started off gloomy and was raining by the time i set off on my bike from Kintbury. Heading back East towards Newbury i had previously plotted the reference points on my faithful A-Z of Berkshire (woe betide anyone attempting to use if for directions now - with all the notes from each site on it!). The aim was to get to these sites and then head back out West towards Hungerford, and get further down the line. Thankfully i achieved what i set out to do before it got too gloomy.

In order of the days travels:

PILLBOX (TYPE FW3/28): S0008829
EDOBID: 7690
The Wilderness, North bank of the Kennet, Kintbury.

The view from the western approach. Originally a sealed PB - someone has broken into this on. Honestly not me before the question is asked.

001.jpg

002.jpg

004.jpg

005.jpg

East facing.

007.jpg

010.jpg

The remains of a footbridge which connected the rail track and rail bridge to the bank of the Kennet.

012.jpg

013.jpg

PILLBOX (TYPE FW3/28A): S0008831
EDOBID: 7879
The Wilderness, North of the Kennet and sat away l and S of railway line, Kintbury.
South easterly field of fire towards the bridge.

The view from the tow path

014.jpg

015.jpg

016.jpg

017.jpg

018.jpg

019.jpg

021.jpg

023.jpg

ANTI TANK VERTICAL RAIL
Believed to be remains of Anti-Tank Sockets on the bridge
EDOBID: 12071

027.jpg

North side of the bridge.

028.jpg

Scrabbling around in the dirt and pulling up clumps of grass - EA BM ?

029.jpg

030.jpg

PILLBOX (TYPE FW3/22): S0008834
EDOBID: 3918

035.jpg

037.jpg

033.jpg

031.jpg

Dreweats Lock and bridge
ANTI TANK VERTICAL RAIL
EDOBID: 12070

041.jpg

Southern approach to bridge.

042.jpg

043.jpg

044.jpg

PILLBOX (TYPE FW3/28A): S0008835
EDOBID: 7880
Located east of the bridge and on the North bank.

045.jpg

046.jpg

South west facing gun embrasure giving a commanding field of fire over the southern approach to the bridge.

047.jpg

049.jpg

052.jpg

ANTI TANK CYLINDER: S0015488
2 clusters of cylinders. A grouping of three and one of four sat around 10 ft away.
EDOBID: 9112

053.jpg

054.jpg

Detail of the lifting hooks.

056.jpg

057.jpg

059.jpg

060.jpg

Copse Lock, N of Kennet and Avon Canal and River Kennet, Speen. Type 22 shell proof.
EDOBID: 3919

This took a little finding and i had to double back on myself to find it. Buried away in the copse of trees and persistence paid off.

061.jpg

062.jpg

063.jpg

066.jpg

067.jpg

Out past Hungerford now and getting close to where i was finishing for the day. The rain had died off and there was a late afternoon burst of sunshine!!

088.jpg

087.jpg

089.jpg

091.jpg

092.jpg

ANTI TANK VERTICAL RAIL: S0008801
EDOBID: 9413

095.jpg

094.jpg

096.jpg

097.jpg

098.jpg

101.jpg

102.jpg

103.jpg

104.jpg

I cannot find a PB 22 on Coblers Lock. Either the aerial photographs are wrong or it has been removed.

Pillbox at Froxfield
PILLBOX (TYPE FW3/22): S0006475
EDOBID: 3683

The brick shuttering is in a bad way but adds a kind of charm. Heavy frost damage.
Cycling down the A4 this almost took me by surprise.

105.jpg

106.jpg

108.jpg

109.jpg

110.jpg

111.jpg

112.jpg

115.jpg

120.jpg

123.jpg

Really pushing it for light i was in two minds to attempt the cycle ride back onto the southern tow path of the Kennet to look for the elusive PB from the other day. I knew i had to get to the lock and cross it. Getting there - it was worth the risk in changing low light levels. I was sure i had caught a glimpse of the PB in question and so i decided to take the chance.

PILLBOX (TYPE FW3/22): S0008799
EDOBID: 3908
South of railway bridge, NE of Picketfield Lock, Kennet and Avon Canal, Hungerford.

Ignoring the 'danger deep mud' warning signs i chanced it.

126.jpg

127.jpg

128.jpg

130.jpg

131.jpg

132.jpg

134.jpg

136.jpg

With the light now gone and knowing i had to cycle back in the dark back to Hungerford Station i called it a day. Tired, covered in mud but happy.
Hope you like the report and photos.

Ye gods man,you is seriously going for this and putting the rest of us to shame.The poor captain must be suffering from many sleepless nights trying to keep up.Once again I reckon the vertical rails in pictures 17 27 and 28 are in fact weight limit sign post posts rather than anti tank rails,both 27 and 28 show drilled holes in a position that would be suitable for bolting the cast iron plate to.Keep up the good,if somewhat muddy,work.

Seriously looking forward to getting out on the Kennet again, so musch to see and record. :)

Indeed there is. Some are so easy to get to. Others require mountaineering skills. I still missed one yesterday. Further out is a gun emplacement which i should get too in the next week. Having a rest for a few days now. :lol:

Massive effort Sen and all looking resplendent in their foliage surroundings. Have to say I'm with oldscrote regarding the rather tall 'vertical rails' as these do not seem to fit with any road block I've ever come across. I'm sure that the capn will have an input on this.

I'm sure that the capn will have an input on this.

I agree, they are in the wrong location to be obstacles. Its very rare to find vertical rails or hairpins still in place, the ones that do survive tend to be the ones at the edges of roadblocks that were concreted into place. The removable ones have been scrapped or recycled into fence posts by the farmers as Sennelager has so wonderfully pictured in this thread.

Is it wrong of me to spend the weekend with some good mates and still be PB hunting from the car as we drive along:mrgreen:

In2nd November post picture 37 of the rails at kintbury bridge,you show bit of broken cast iron
here is one at Bathampton on the K and A.part of a complete weight limit sign

slightly bigger area showing the rail it is on

the whole sign

and the sign plus rail support to show size of the thing

The bolt holes in the plate were 42 and a half inches centre to centre so if any body is in the vicinity of dreweats bridge with a tape measure maybe they confirm the holes visible in the photo are the same as I guess that the plates were mass produced.Interesting thought is that when these signs were erected how many of the population could actually read?
On your other point ,not only is OK to look out for pill boxes when traveling with friends it is in fact mandatory

Last edited:
I took another day out yesterday to continue out west. My usual routine of plotting on an OS map with pointers complete i drove out past Hungerford and continues my journey. The day wasn't great, slightly spitting with a light rain, dull and overcast but i will take what ever nature offers. For once i took the lazy approach and drive and document. This still involved walking to some of the sites and the additional problem of where to safely park the car on the narrow country roads.

ANTI TANK VERTICAL RAIL: S0008784
EDOBID: 9412
Located on the south side of bridge 92 on the Kennet heading towards Little Bedwyn.

007.JPG

008.jpg

009.jpg

ANTI TANK VERTICAL RAIL: S0008783
EDOBID: 9411
Fore Bridge, Little Bedwyn

011.jpg

012.JPG

Hunting for the Gun Emplacement i parked up and took some shots while on the walk around to find the most accessible place to enter the field. I was cheeky enough to sneak through the electrified fence and just walk across the field. The horses in the field seemed to think i was of interest and started to come towards me. I cleared off when i thought they were close enough. Apologies but i love rusty metal.

014.jpg

013.JPG

015.JPG

016.jpg

017.JPG

018.jpg

019.JPG

020.jpg

And finally - the gun emplacement.

GUN EMPLACEMENT: S0008782
EDOBID: 7555
Currently being used as a pit to burn off rubbish, the whole pit itself is full of ash and is very springy underfoot. I managed a few shots of the storage lockers and feeling slightly exposed due to the proximity of the housing on either side of the field i made an alternative exit out of the field. Sited North of the rail track and covering the rail bridge and western approaches to Little Bedwyn.

021.jpg

022.JPG

023.jpg

024.JPG

025.jpg

026.jpg

Station Bridge - Great Bedwyn
More of a disappointment really. Two PBs are located in this area and despite me trying to hunt them both down i failed. North of the canal was out of bounds on the Western side due to private ground, the Eastern side of the North bank was thoroughly covered and i still couldn't find anything. The only thing i found on the North East side was a culvert in the tree line.

029.JPG

031.JPG

032.JPG

033.jpg

Parking up near St Marys Church i cut through the graveyard on a public footpath which led to a public crossing on the rail lines. Crossing over to the south side of the line there were a few things of interest but again to PB!! Once again foiled by the Canal Boats parked up and this being Private ground.

Sat on the south western side of a culvert bridge.

035.JPG

034.jpg

036.JPG

037.jpg

ANTI TANK VERTICAL RAIL: S0008778
Church Bridge, Great Bedwyn
EDOBID: 9410

039.JPG

038.jpg

042.jpg

Taking a further look around and on the southern approach tp Church Bridge i was having a nosey in the stream that runs behind the tow path and some cylindrical mossy outcrops took my eye. upon risking a fall and getting down to water level i counted 7 that were extent. I couldn't investigate further by intriguing none the less. (cylinders?)

047.jpg

048.jpg

049.jpg

054.jpg

North side of the pedestrian access to the rail line.

057.jpg

056.JPG

ANTI TANK BLOCK: S0008777
EDOBID: 8574
Two AT blocks on either side of the southern approach to the bridge of the Kennet. Almost impossible to spot and it took me ages to actually find and safely document these. The fall off on the Eastern side is steep. The Hump Back bridge unsighted to cars if i am in the road.

South west side of bridge.

059.JPG

061.jpg

Completely buried on the Eastern side.

062.jpg

063.JPG

Finally a PB that is easy to get to and find!! Sat high on the bank and on the edge of the farmers field.

PILLBOX (TYPE FW3/22): S0008776
EDOBID: 3903

065.jpg

066.JPG

068.jpg

070.JPG

071.JPG

072.JPG

There is a PB sited further down the road and running along the train track. Maybe next time when i get in the area.
Again there is another pedestrian crossing back over the train track.

076.JPG

073.JPG

Further down from the track and easily sighted. The cylinders are located on the Northern side of the bridge - two on either side.

ANTI TANK CYLINDER: S0008774
Beech Tree Walk Bridge, No. 98, on the approach into Crofton
EDOBID: 9024

077.jpg

080.JPG

081.jpg

Sat between both cylinders and on either side of the Northern section of the bridge.

083.JPG

084.JPG

The approach in a southerly direction from the train track.

087.JPG

PILLBOX (TYPE FW3/28A): S0008769
EDOBID: 7877
Field of fire over the train track and in a south easterly direction. Sited in the corner of a field opposite to Crofton Beam Engine. Located right next to the car park for the Beam Engine so not far to walk. Parking the car up a man challenged me as i was taking photos of the Beam Engine site. This was closed for maintenance sadly as i am a sucker for local history and it would have made a welcome rest stop.

091.JPG

092.JPG

The view from the car park side gate.

094.JPG

095.JPG

096.JPG

Backtracking and leaving the car in the car park (50p for two hours for anyone interested), i walked back down the lane and headed back over towards the train track and the crossing point.

099.jpg

100.JPG

I did smile to myself........:mrgreen:

101.JPG

ANTI TANK VERTICAL RAIL: S0008771
EDOBID: 9409

102.JPG

Showing the disadvantage of mud and rain.

104.jpg

North western side of the pedestrian crossing.

105.JPG

PILLBOX (TYPE FW3/22): S0006650
Freewarren Bridge, North of Sam Farmer Lock
EDOBID: 3698

Parking the car up on the opposite side of Sam Farmer Lock i walked back up the hill, over the rail bridge and into the access point to the farmers field. Walking along the edge of the field and in the south western corner of the field. This despite the owner of the house close by arriving home but i ducked down.

108.JPG

111.JPG

114.JPG

118.JPG

119.JPG

121.JPG

125.JPG

127.JPG

The parting shot on falling light levels and a gloomy day.

128.jpg

I hope you enjoy the report and it was a great day out. The variety was fantastic.

Is it wrong of me to spend the weekend with some good mates and still be PB hunting from the car as we drive along:mrgreen:

All of my friends have got used to me muttering "oh look there's a pillbox" under my breath whenever we go anywhere. :)

Unfortunately they never stop. :(

Another good day out there Senn.Good to see another surviving weight limit sign and that it brought a smile to your face.Has anyone ever lifted one of the concrete anti tank rail post caps to see what's underneath and how deep the hole is?

I am back out there tomorrow, shall take a look at one but i would feel like i am vandalising if i attempt to lift one. Cleaning and clearing is fine to me. Anything else just feels wrong.

I am back out there tomorrow, shall take a look at one but i would feel like i am vandalising if i attempt to lift one. Cleaning and clearing is fine to me. Anything else just feels wrong.

I agree. I'd be mortified if I lifted one and inadvertently damaged it.

Just wonderful to see this quantity and variety of stopline defences Sen. Particularly the open gun pit and the hairpin sockets. Thanks for sharing. :)

Right just a few hours of light remained before i got back out to where i had left off. A bit of a mixed bag really. The light was against me towards the end which was a shame as it was a great day for it. The sun was out!!.

I only got to the outskirts of Crofton at 2pm so only has just over 2.5 hours of daylight left. Not good planning but there will be another time to get out there.
Parking up just behind Wolfhall farm (great name) and Wolfhall Manor, i walked down the public access road to the bridge over the canal. The other aim was to get down the tow path and walk to the AT cylinder just before Crofton Locks but this was foiled by engineering work going on at the Lock and the tow path was closed.

Anyhow:

ANTI TANK VERTICAL RAIL
EDOBID: 12079
Very little evidence of the rail placements exists other than the tell tale concrete. I did manage to locate evidence though. I also walked further up to the rail bridge to see if there was any other signs of fortification but no such luck. Situated on the southern approach to Wolfhall bridge....

001.JPG

A little digging around later.

002.JPG

The view of Wolfhall Bridge from the East.

003.jpg

So near to the AT Cylinder and looking over a redundant rail bridge. Up the hill there is a site security hut and i did not bother asking if i could enter the site on the lock. There was work being carried out and i did not want to break the health and safety codes of the site. I am adding the photos of the disused rail track, bridges and later the M&SWJR Old Signal Box & Water Tower, Savernake High Level Station to give you an idea of why the area is dotted with AT blocks, cylinders and a PB. Someone clesarly had the gall to get onto the land in 2008 but after testing to see if the electric fencing was live i just wandered past the Station to have a nosy. There is a gun emplacement sat further up the road but i did not find this in the heavy undergrowth. Frustrating!!

004.jpg

005.JPG

007.jpg

008.jpg

009.jpg

012.JPG

015.jpg

Located on the right side of Savernake Road and running near to the old rail line bed. (New Barn Farm)

019.JPG

Hunting for the elusive type 22 i crossed the road and walked the rail line bed, crossed over the edge of the field and eventually ended up walking almost track side. I got into slight difficulties in this area as it has slippery slopes and is unsighted to the casual eye. My pooper went a few times!

The easier section.

020.jpg

023.JPG

024.jpg

026.jpg

ANTI TANK BLOCK: S0008767
EDOBID: 8573
Located at the East end of Bruce Tunnel and sat high up on the embankment. A solitary AT block.

027.JPG

028.JPG

029.JPG

031.JPG

The Eastern approach to Bruce Tunnel on a quiet and glorious late afternoon.

032.JPG

Out on the edge of the woods overlooking Burbage common. The light was seriously fading now so appologies for the use of flash (i personally hate using it as it kills and flattens a photo). I shall place these up here for now but will get to this site again to get them in natural light.

ANTI TANK BLOCK: S0006509
By wood, off minor road running East from the A346 road between Stibbs Green and Burbage Wharf.
EDOBID: 8525
I spotted 13 cubes in the gloom. Some heavily overgrown with Ivy but the distinct shape is there. Easily spotted from the road if you know they are there. The blocks are placed in an L shape and those on the longer section of the L are roadside and corrugated iron was used as shuttering. Those on the shorter section of the L are slightly larger and were either added at a previous or latter date.

Roadside southern section of the wood:

035.JPG

037.jpg

050.JPG

051.JPG

052.JPG

Eastern section of the wood.

042.JPG

045.JPG

And finally :
PILLBOX (TYPE FW3/22): S0006665
EDOBID: 3700
Strange one this. Partly buried, high up on the embankment with an eastern facing entrance door. The southern embrasure is breeze blocked up and took me by surprise when shooting the camera in pitch darkness.

Climbing the bank in a bad situation. The woods were getting very dark by now and i was watching out for barbed wire - the bane of my life.

053.JPG

Western embrasure.

054.JPG

A view of the bricked up southern embrasure.

056.JPG

060.jpg

061.JPG

063.JPG

064.JPG

As i say - mixed bag really. Though i enjoyed getting out there it was a frustrating day in total. Oh well - there is always another day.

Hope you enjoy the report.

Thanks Sen. Corrugated cubes, new one on me. Don't know where you get your energy from but I'm glad you do. :)

Got an uncle who lives in Devizes, might be heading up that way soon.

Thanks Sen. Corrugated cubes, new one on me. Don't know where you get your energy from but I'm glad you do. :)

Got an uncle who lives in Devizes, might be heading up that way soon.

Think I have seen some before now
Stearling work there sennelager though I feel mooching around in the dark is going a bit far. Looks like you could be returning for a couple if like me you can't let it alone, you know it is there but you have to see it. :)

Drop me a PM if you heading up to Devizes we could meed for a mooch.

Last edited:
Agreed with that. Next time I shall be in the area at the crack of dawn. Too much can easily be missed. The amount of times in daylight I have walked past something, let alone at dusk.

Back