Abandoned Mill (ESSEX)

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Charzzz23

Reaction score
Abandoned Corn Mill
Originally a water powered corn mill. It's not known when a mill was founded on this site, but the Doomsday book references that there was a mill near this site as long ago as 1066.
At that point, all the buildings were wooden and the mill stream ran under the centre of the building to turn the water wheel. With the opening of the large building that later became known as the Engine House in 1929 water was taken from both the River Chelmer and a borehole and treated in this building before being pumped to Galleywood reservoir. From there it was available to the cities inhabitants. By the 1980s the waterworks at the Mill had become redundant in the face of larger waterworks able to pump more water nearby and was closed before the end of the decade.

Attachments

• IMG_2401.jpeg
    IMG_2401.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 8
  • IMG_2402.jpeg
    IMG_2402.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2403.jpeg
    IMG_2403.jpeg
    4.1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2404.jpeg
    IMG_2404.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2406.jpeg
    IMG_2406.jpeg
    135.5 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2459.jpeg
    IMG_2459.jpeg
    716.5 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2462.jpeg
    IMG_2462.jpeg
    382.8 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2463.jpeg
    IMG_2463.jpeg
    679.7 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2465.jpeg
    IMG_2465.jpeg
    463.7 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2467.jpeg
    IMG_2467.jpeg
    392.5 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2469.jpeg
    IMG_2469.jpeg
    1,005.6 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2470.jpeg
    IMG_2470.jpeg
    420.3 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2473.jpeg
    IMG_2473.jpeg
    585 KB · Views: 0
  • filtered-E26D3995-7E91-45A0-AD92-2491E0772261.mp4
    15.7 MB
  • filtered-6F2FF047-EC57-4C7B-9031-72AD90A4A4E4.mp4
    6.5 MB
  • filtered-42297BBA-A6B6-4F86-BAC0-E582EE2969F4.mp4
    11.5 MB
Last edited by a moderator:
Good stuff, this was sealed tight on my visit a few months ago.
Yeh the entry point is abit sketchy tbh. And unless you know where to get in the whole building is otherwise sealed up tight. Im actually going back soon because i still havent been through the whole building

You could start with:-
Who was the owner?
What year was it built?
When did it close down?
originally a water powered corn mill. It's not known when a mill was founded on this site, but the Doomsday book references that there was a mill near this site as long ago as 1066.
At that point, all the buildings were wooden and the mill stream ran under the centre of the building to turn the water wheel. With the opening of the large building that later became known as the Engine House in 1929 water was taken from both the River Chelmer and a borehole and treated in this building before being pumped to Galleywood reservoir. From there it was available to the cities inhabitants. By the 1980s the waterworks at the Mill had become redundant in the face of larger waterworks able to pump more water nearby and was closed before the end of the decade.

Have you seen how other reports on the site are written? That's a good place to look.

A report isn't just a photo dump of a place.
originally a water powered corn mill. It's not known when a mill was founded on this site, but the Doomsday book references that there was a mill near this site as long ago as 1066.

You could start with:-
Who was the owner?
What year was it built?
When did it close down?
Hi ive replied to two other comments with some history. Sorry i didnt post it upon uploading the photos but you should be able to see one of the replies with the details of the building that i found online.

Hi sorry i didnt post any info on the building when I originally posted the photos but i have replied to two people where u can see the info i found online about the building.
That's fantastic. That's all is needed in this forum when posting pictures. Just a little short history.

Nice one. Posted the above text into your initial post.

Back