Anyone shoot 35mm?

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Where do you get them developed & at what price? :)

Where do you get them developed & at what price? :)
Until recently, I used a local printer for several years...print & Process of a 24 film costing £5-50. I had to find somewhere else because the bloke of the outfit kept cocking it up and the last time was the last straw. He chucked away most of the last film in it's casette and only developed a strip of four negs. Frantic search by one of the ladies discovered it in the bottom of the printing machine, and she carefully processed it. The bit that the bloke had developed was totally unusable, so it turned out to have been a blessing.

Now I go into Exeter and use a Truprint shop. And the prints are totally superb. Can't believe the difference. £5-99 a film, but I'd rather pay extra and get good negs and prints than crap stuff. The difference shows even more when you scan, as scanning picks up any covered-up mistakes and tweaking.

I've also got some envelopes to send away to Truprint, one of which I've just used to send off two films. I used to use them before the local printers and never had any problem. By post the cost is cheaper...£4 plus £1 p&p...and you can buy cheap film using the service. I ordered 5 for £5. £1 a film which is brill.

The larger Boots stores also do processing. I haven't used them but I've heard they aren't very good. Also by post, Bonus print. Look them up on-line and you can order envelopes (you can do that with Truprint too).

I personally wouldn't use Tesco as I've heard too many horror stories. For perfect results you'll need to be prepared to pay more, but it's worth it, imo, as you won't lose so much resolution when scanning...and they'll last almost indefinitely.

Sorry about the essay, but hope it helps! :lol:

Think its only a few quid to get them dev'd an put onto disc at Jacobs

I got mine on CD at asda for £2.99 and it was done within the hour. Cant go wrong....

Does anyone here shoot 35mm? I've just acquired a 35mm Zorki 4k camera & was hoping some people would post up some pictures they've done on film? Has anyone tried lomography in derelict places?

I've got a Soviet Union 50th anniversary Zorki, but don't dare take it out urbexing. I use Zenits for urbex (and get through a few...) As for processing, I've started using Peak Imaging in Sheffield (as they develop medium format as well), usually send off several films at once.

Here's a photo, Zenit 12 XP, Helios 44M-4, Fujicolor Superia X-TRA 400.

4532076416_74afe13e41.jpg

Love that pic - is the zorki you have the one with lenin on it? I saw one of those, looked brilliant!

Is the Kodak film from poundland any good? If so i'll be buying a fair amount! - Do they do B&W film too?

Lastly, where is the cheapest place to have it developed? I plan on using my camera a lot (although maybe buying one with a light meter and zoom function!) but dont really want to spend £5 a time on development. Could always build myself a darkroom I suppose!

Also, while im on the subject - my camera works on turning the lense to focus but also has a timer for taking pictures of yourself (I presume), if i get the camera all focussed then put the timer on and get in the picture will I be blurred?

Thanks!

...if i get the camera all focussed then put the timer on and get in the picture will I be blurred?

If you focus on where you'll be then it should be okay. Failing that, just set it to infinity to get an all-round depth of field then tweak it after scanning. Tis a bit of trial and error I've found.

You don't really need a darkroom for developing. If you use one of those black bags you can take the film out of the casette and get it into a developing tank. Once the screw top's on you can do the rest in the kitchen as there's a central opening on the top for pouring the liquids in and out. Getting the film wound takes a bit of practice, but you can do that with some old film until you can do it sight unseen. :)

Oh, forgot to add...

Yes, you'll need a darkroom for printing, but once you've got the negs developed you can use a neg scanner to get the images on your computer. It's better too, as you lose less resolution than scanning prints. The one I bought is a small stand-alone job and only cost £41. It's very good too, quick and easy with it's own software. Linky below...

It's the second one (Veho - neg, slide & instamatic scanner) and gone down in price than when I bought mine! :lol:

[ame]http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_0_16?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=negative+scanner&sprefix=negative+scanner[/ame]

Thanks a lot - you're very helpful!

One last question - is it just b&w film that I can develop myself or can I do colour too? I think b&w looks better myself.

One last question - is it just b&w film that I can develop myself or can I do colour too? I think b&w looks better myself.

I've only developed b&w myself, but I watched a tutorial about colour developing on Youtube and it's actually easier. I'm not sure if you can do it the 'bag and tank' way though, but I can't see why not as there's no light getting in. Good question...I'll find out about that.

I like b&w better too. I'm going to start shooting b&w again too, as I've got the dev tank. Just need to get the chemicals and thermometer...and some film. :mrgreen:

Definatley, I think ill be ordering some B&W film soon then seeing how i get on, then look into developing gear. Some of the photos ive seen on film could not be replicated on digital I think. :mrgreen:

I'm not sure if you can do it the 'bag and tank' way though, but I can't see why not as there's no light getting in.
:

The bag and tank method is fine for it, as you said as long as their is no light at all you're fine. I've shut my housemates out of the bathroom many times developing film in there :mrgreen:

I love the excitement of shooting 35mm, or any film for that matter, at interesting sites. I find it makes me focus more on getting things right rather than randomly snapping everything, after all it's not like you can get back to some locations every day to reshoot if it goes wrong! :lol:

And to those who mentioned Poundland Kodak film, I've had some great results with it, it's just pretty much a nice, standard colour roll :)

Well guys I spent a long time taking pictures of all sorts of things with my first roll of film, then couldnt work out how to wind it so pulled it out in anger :( film ruined.

Put another one in, I know i've wasted one photo but i'll give it another try tomorrow.

Pretty gutted. :mad:

Regarding developing black and white, if its a c41 film like elford xp2, normal shops do it cheap, but if its a more "posh" (dont actually know the correct term) film like ilford hp5, its best to do it yourself to save money as most shops dont do them.

Latest posts

Back