Gun Barrel Shed..Wolsingham 2020

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mikeymutt

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Reaction score
I had seen a few pics of this last pop up somewhere. So a quick look by knowing the area the person lives in, and comparing photos with a member on another forum who posted some on Flickr some years ago. I had the place found in about ten mins and pinned. So heading to Scotland I made the trip to it and finding myself in what is quite an ornate shed of some size. This place got quite busy later that summer. And looking at photos I could see a train had been moved out making it easier to take a nice pic of the remaining ones from the front. Otherwise it was a tight place for shots. Getting in the carriages was nice like the buffet bar and the first class carriage was nice.
The iron works was opened in 1864 by Charles Attwood. His nephew took over the firm in 1930 after his uncle died and was rebranded as John Rogerson & Co till 1930. The firm modernised and installed electric arc furnaces in the 50s. The main works shut in 1984 but a worker co cooperative continued to run on a reduced scale till 2008. The shed here got it's nickname by the fact it produced gun barrels for the navy. The company produced a lot of stuff for the military and the ship building industry.

IMG_6381.jpeg
IMG_6382.jpeg
IMG_6383.jpeg
IMG_6384.jpeg
IMG_6385.jpeg
IMG_6386.jpeg
IMG_6387.jpeg
IMG_6388.jpeg
IMG_6389.jpeg
IMG_6390.jpeg
IMG_6391.jpeg
IMG_6392.jpeg
IMG_6393.jpeg
IMG_6394.jpeg
IMG_6395.jpeg
IMG_6396.jpeg
IMG_6397.jpeg
IMG_6398.jpeg
IMG_6399.jpeg
IMG_6400.jpeg
IMG_6402.jpeg
IMG_6401.jpeg
IMG_6403.jpeg
IMG_6404.jpeg
IMG_6405.jpeg
IMG_6406.jpeg
IMG_6407.jpeg
IMG_6408.jpeg
IMG_6409.jpeg
IMG_6410.jpeg

Very nice piece of work there Mikeymutt that first class carriage looked worthy of the royal train. I can imagine that being a gun works. I used to have a book when I was an apprentice which had all the engineering stuff I needed in it. There were photos of guns on Lathes which the blokes rode on. I should never have lent it to an apprentice I had because I never got it back. I hope the place stays that way

The website 28 Days Later has some good photos of the Gunbarrel Shed, which it says is listed. Both sets of photographs show what can happen when an attempt at railway preserviation fails - or at least falters. This one appears to have stalled because of the Covid pandemic; thank you, China, again!

Very nice piece of work there Mikeymutt that first class carriage looked worthy of the royal train. I can imagine that being a gun works. I used to have a book when I was an apprentice which had all the engineering stuff I needed in it. There were photos of guns on Lathes which the blokes rode on. I should never have lent it to an apprentice I had because I never got it back. I hope the place stays that way
Thank you. The first class one was prob the nicest one I have been in, and been in a few now. You can definitely tell it was an old industrial building. I can imagine the set up you had would have been similar. Don't get settings like that now.

The website 28 Days Later has some good photos of the Gunbarrel Shed, which it says is listed. Both sets of photographs show what can happen when an attempt at railway preserviation fails - or at least falters. This one appears to have stalled because of the Covid pandemic; thank you, China, again!
My report is on there as well. I think the railway preservation company is still there in the yard. I did visit this just after we were let out after COVID.

Cool stuff, I remember we had a look at this back in the day when the fab sheds at Weardale Steel were explorable (long since demolished, there's just the office block left now, and it's quite empty). The Weardale Railway guys seemed to be quite active then, and this building seemed to be secure. Good to see what's inside it.

Latest posts

Back