House of Shelves - Herts - September 2012

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Gooseberries are one of those things that get grown then the question gets asked 'what am I supposed to do with them?' so they get stuck in a Kilner jar till an answer (that never comes) is found.:lol:

You are all wrong, they are quite clearly pickled eyes.:p

Wow what an interesting place (yes i am a newbie but love reading these reports).

However with my job I do get to see places like this as part of my role very often (would love to start doing it during the evening/night/weekend) . However sadly by the time I turn up, its getting close to a developer about to start making plans to destroy the past.

Loved the tachograph (reminds me of my old man - yep can't think why it would be there). My missus studied all your photographs first time she noticed a couple of orbs in a few of your pics (she's a sceptic I promise but is very interested in that kind of thing and in people's past lives!)

Not sure whether I should post anything what I discover during my work time when we do internals. Think I'll ask the mods.

I'm going to a East End Hospital soon loads of internals due!

C

Last edited:
My missus studied all your photographs first time she noticed a couple of orbs in a few of your pics (she's a sceptic I promise but is very interested in that kind of thing and in people's past lives!)

I usually see a lot of those orbs in my photos when I use the flash, they are generally just dust particles in the air closer to the camera than the subject matter, and show up as out of focus orbs.

However, many of these shots were taken on long exposure without the flash. I'll have to go back and take a closer look, but I'm betting any orbs are on photos where I used the flash. If not, I aint going back there :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

If you want orbs, check this post I did of an old cinema, it was full of orbs :)
[ame]http://www.derelictplaces.co.uk/main/showthread.php?t=22325[/ame]

Last edited:
Hi UE-OMJ,

Thanks so much for sending me that link of the cinema, that was awesome, shame about the vandalism and the fire.

I used to work for a mulit-national civil engineering company in Camberely and got sent there quite often for training and support roles. Never saw or knew that building was there. I must have been walking around with my eyes closed!

My wife was commentating though like me that the cinema had a lot of orbs in one place and irregular shapes ones too, some would say quite consistent with the amount of dust and ash from a fire damaged building???

(Respect for walking round one and exploring as I hate having to go into fire damaged ones I'm paranoid the floors are going to collapse underfoot!)

PM me if you get a chance to check those shots out whether they were long exposure or flash ones. (As I know its going off topic - it's not a paranormal forum but a better exploration forum instead)

As my missus is supicious that they are not just dust as they are perfectly round and on their own in certain situations e.g. the chair photo, door below the tacho photo and definitely the arch photo with the acroprop in! We'd be really interested and would love to find a building like that now, even though it has scared my missus a lot now and the fact you went there on your own!!!!:shocked:

Me i'm more sceptical and love the building as a whole like you. I have to go into a lot of buildings on my own and usually in basements too, but they ain't spoken to me or got me yet........perhaps they don't like the look or smell of me.......:skeptical:

P.s. Laurabops my mum has that cook book still NOT #embarrassing its #retro-cool! :mrgreen:

C

Sterling effort all 3 episodes. This place looks like a Crafts school. By the way don't diss gooseberries, they make the finest sparkling wine just like the real French champagne. I made a strawberry/gooseberry mix this year, nectar on the tongue

So much stuff, and often very unrelated which made it very difficult to get a picture of who lived here. I suspect someone started to renovate the house but quickly got out of their depth.

I have read about an old lady (someones Grandmother) living here, and there were hair rollers, hair dryer, slippers, along with kitchen utensils, etc, to back this up.

Your excellent images - informative and not mucked about with to produce 'arty' images - will allow people of my generation to 'read' this house. If you research the parish burial/birth records and county council records etc, I think you will confirm my very quick record delve that this was indeed a family residence - lived in by a number of generations.

As to the photographic chemicals, films and equipment, craft materials, plaster castings /molds and pottery etc, just the remains of the very productive hobbies this household occupied themselves with. This was in the days before TV and eventually the computer game, started the slow decline in our ability to use our brains constructively. The jars of craft paints were used to paint designs on undecorated pottery - you 'fired' the painted pots in the domestic oven. The mercury salt and solution there of, was used to tone black and white photographic enlargements. All these things were common subjects in the craft and photographic books and magazines of the 50's and 60's.

The plaster cast of the teeth is somewhat different - Long before the NHS; it was common, when one was fitted with dentures, for your private dentist to return the cast of your remaining teeth after the dentures had been made. I suspect that this was because dentures in those days were somewhat fragile and may have needed repairing quite often.

Properties like this are relatively rare these days, but in the late 50's and early 60's they were much more common. Usually landlocked because the surrounding land/woodlands had been sold off for death duties, they were just locked up when the aged occupant died because there was no money for any surviving relatives to repair the decaying structures. In the property market of the day these properties were almost valueless when stuck out in the wilds. You are far more likely to find a locked and abandoned inner city terraced house these days - I know of four in my local area that have been locked up since the early 80's.

Congratulations on producing one of the most informative series of images I have seen. It is the detritus of daily life that really tells us the story of who or how a place was habited and your images tells it in full measure.

Dirus_Strictus, thank you for your reply. It's very informative and has probably answered many of my questions. I guess yes, before the 'computer age' people would have needed hobbies to keep them occupied. And thanks for the positive comments about my report. It's greatly appreciated.

Also a good explanation of the teeth mold.

Nice one :)

Last edited:
Because no-one here has any hobbies, we're all too busy playing on our Xboxes... those of us who aren't too busy bitching on the internet that is.

*rolls eyes*

Thanks for the bits in between that were informative though.

Sterling effort all 3 episodes. This place looks like a Crafts school. By the way don't diss gooseberries, they make the finest sparkling wine just like the real French champagne. I made a strawberry/gooseberry mix this year, nectar on the tongue

I'd say it was more of an artists commune... and that weird press thing looks almost like a pill press. Parsnips better :lol:

Its not a potato chipper, they work sideways...

Big rolls of 35mm film and 8mm film by the looks of it... the 8mm could be a nuddy film LOL

I also think that Speedo is a tachometer out of a scania truck... Quite an unusual thing to find laying around :)

hey guys,
yes it is a tachograph from a very old scania truck, one of the first tachos introduced i believe, and that press is also a potato chipper that has previously been said before on this post,

that is one heck of an explore.....

Back