Old Asylums/Psychiatric Hospitals still open?

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Winchester

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Reaction score
Here's a list of those I can find online.(various sources)

By 'Still open', I mean in use as Hospitals or Psychiatric hospitals. NOT converted to housing.

Compact Arrow
Whitchurch, Cardiff.
Cefn Coed, Swansea.
St Cadoc's, Newport.
St Lukes, Middlesbrough
Goodmayes, Chadwell, East London

Corridor
Kingsway, Derby
St Andrews, Northampton.
St Clements, Ipswich.
Warnford, Oxfordshire.
Wonford House, Exeter
Springfield, Wandsworth
Shelton, Shrewsbury (I drove to visit it and it was still open!!!)
St David's, Camarthen
Glanrhyd Hospital, Glamorgan

Colony
Runwell, Essex (Imminent closure)
Harperbury, Hertfordshire (One third of site still in use)
St Ebbas, Epsom (Partially occupied, but majority of site derelict. 18 patients in total in 2007)

Has anybody had a poke around any of these sites? I know this site is called Derelict places, but there's a few of us asylumphiles about...

I've had physiotherapy at Whitchurch Hospital! I don't know whether the NHS have a physio department there still, but I used to go there a lot a couple of years ago. It seems a big site, and there's a cancer hospital next door too.
I also went to high school next door. We often had escaped mental patients running rampage around the school.

There is also

Newcastle upon Tyne City Asylum, St. Nicholas Hospital, Northumberland

And there's a few still in use up here in scotland. Most are undergoing phased closures though.

I've had a poke around these:
Whitchurch, Cardiff
Cefn Coed, Swansea
St Cadoc's, Newport

Nowt but a few outer buildings to report yet.

Hmm I've heard of these...
Harperbury, Hertfordshire
St Ebbas, Epsom

I've had a poke around these:
Whitchurch, Cardiff
Cefn Coed, Swansea
St Cadoc's, Newport

Nowt but a few outer buildings to report yet.

Hmm I've heard of these...
Harperbury, Hertfordshire
St Ebbas, Epsom

The company I work for is re-accomodating some people from Harperbury, so they can live in the community.
St Ebbas still has 'rocking chair man', and several small buildings left in use.

Stratheden Hospital, Fife is still very much open

stratheden.jpg

http://www.flashearth.com/?lat=56.304996&lon=-3.05405&z=17.7&r=0&src=msl

Related story - http://www.thecourier.co.uk/output/2008/08/14/newsstory11803998t0.asp

Liff closed earlier this decade, I visited it a while back but they were most of the way into converting it then. I don't think any of the original interior was intact.

how much of Sunnyside is still open (near Montrose)

and a hospital (not assylum) just inland Stracathro i rember at school my mates used to go in there and trash part of the abandoned place :mad:

The special hospitals are still in use, Rampton and Broadmoor have retained much of the original buildings, I think Rampton has a pavillion plan, and broadmoor has a corridor plan.

I've been to Rampton Hospital on an official tour.

Not sure how much of the original Moss Side building is left at ashworth.

Can't imagine any of these are good for exploration though :mrgreen:

St Lukes in Boro is still very much open - a good friend of mine did work experience there a few months ago, heard some interesting stories let me tell you!

As for the buildings, theres only really an abandoned chapel but its been burnt out by local pikies quite a few times so its not that impressive.

some more old mental hospitals still in use include

Cheadle Royal, nr stockport is now run by Affinity Healthcare, although I think the old nursing home is derelict

The Retreat, York

Bethlem Royal Hospital

how much of Sunnyside is still open (near Montrose)

and a hospital (not assylum) just inland Stracathro i rember at school my mates used to go in there and trash part of the abandoned place :mad:

There's only a tiny part of stracathro that's empty unfortunately. Just a wee block that spans the width of the used car park.

As for sunnyside, still quite a lot open - but it's actually moving over to Stracathro in 3 years time.

Parts of severalls are still in use, one of the villas is a lab now and there are still some lock-in wards up there, it was up until very recently that lectures used to still be given there but theyve shut alpha and gamma now.

same can be said for parts of west park then...

We also forgot the most important one, Bethlam :)

Isnt Kingsway due for closure sometime in 2009 or am i mistaken?

As it currently stands, Derbyshire Royal Infirmary will mostly close in 2009 (with the retention of a community hospital on the southern half of the site) and two master plan's to redevelop it have been mentioned (interestingly the NHS have drawn up one plan). Most facilities will be based at the Derby City Hospital which is close to Kingsway.

Kingsway is currently had a bit of a knock around and some new buildings are being constructed to improve its services for future years.

Either way its all very controversial at the minute.

Latest posts

Back