Old Asylums/Psychiatric Hospitals still open?

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
St Nicholas, Newcastle

I used to work at a small hospital (now shut) very near St Nicholas' Hospital in Newcastle. We used to go to the occupational health department there for jabs etc. Although it's still open it's much reduced in size, much of the land around it now taken over by a housing estate. They did open a new forensic psychiatry ward there a few years back - after the new houses were built - I doubt potential purchasers were made aware of that particular plan!

I was once pushed into the nearest loo by a little lady there who thought I was a new patient looking for a toilet!:lol:

Those old black and white photos are terrific silverstealth; they add so much history to the up to date documentation on this site

Last edited:
St Clements in Ipswich is still open - I drove past today and had yet another wistful look at it. There was talk of it closing down when the new acute unit was built as part of the development at Heath Road.

I do have a contact who used to work Maintenance at St Clements who knows the current manager - I have first dibs when it does shut down!

Plus am up there at the Social Club early May so might get a bit lost...ahem...;)

harperbury is a great place to explore tho the nurses dont like you walking near the football pitch ive no idea why tho

Whitchurch in Cardiff is due for closure in the next few years following relocation to new facilities.

It's still live at the moment, with the exception of one ward.

Last edited:
Although Rauceby is technically closed, a little piece is still open on the perimeter of the site in the form of a childrens unit and the local PCT occupies the Orchard House complex that was an acute ward prior to its role change. this ward had a role in the pioneering development of plastic surgery, primarily hands with faces being done in east grinstead and is part of the guinea pig club.

This book is worth reading if you want to know more, Emile Mayhew - The Reconstruction of Warriors: Archibald McIndoe, The Royal Air Force and the Guinea Pig Club (2004) ISBN 1-85367-610-1, I borrowed a copy from our local library, which also carries a photo archive of rauceby.

I remember when I was a student an old timer telling me abiut beds of this type on the verandahs for the treatment of TB patients in all weathers.
runwellverandah.jpg

Fresh air was thought to be good for them. In an old store we found the waxed cotton bed covers and screens that hung from the roof edge. Hmm not my idea of fun in the winter

Latest posts

Back