Old Asylums/Psychiatric Hospitals still open?

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A good thread Winchy :)

When looking up some history on Cefn Coed, Swansea, I came across this. Makes for interesting reading....

http://www.abm.university-trust.wales.nhs.uk/Documents/743/Diamond Days1.pdf

Although strictly not an Asylum / Psychiatric, St. Peter's Hospital is still open in Maldon, Essex (was formally a Workhouse). Thinking about it, there must be quite a few old Workhouses still open.

Lb:jimlad:

In addition to those listed there are a few more I can add:

mental hospitals
St. James', Portsmouth
Hellesdon, Norwich
Bootham Park, York
St. Bernard's, Hanwell (approx 1/2 of asylum block)
St. Andrew's, Norwich (annexe only - trust HQ)
St. Martin's, Kent
Mapperley, Notts (original block - no inpatients inside)

open but vacated original block - all are still operating in grounds with some facilities in older buildings
Fulbourn, Cambs
Prestwich, Lancs
St. George's, Stafford

mental handicap (learning disabilities)
Northgate, Morpeth
Glenfrith, Leicester(mostly administrative)
Manor House, Bucks (all1970's buildings remaining)
St. Catherine's, Doncaster (no inpatients in old blocks)
Botleys Park, Chertsey (central service areas only)

Llanfrechfa grange, Bryn y neuadd, Ridge Hill and Ida Darwin hospitals are either open or recently closed but are all modern mental handicap hospitals of the 1960's/70's.

scottish mental hospitals (not sure about exact details as I haven't visited them)
Ailsa, Ayr
Argyll + Bute, Linlithgow (part)
Rosslynlee, Midlothian
Crichton Royal, Dumfriess (part)
Royal Cornhill, Aberdeen
Murray Royal, Perth
Carstairs state hospital, Lanark (criminal mental hospital)
? Dykebar (unsure - new buildings in part?)
? Leverndale (replaced by new building?)

St. Nicholas, Newcastle is only half occupying the older (annexe) buildings, the other (original) half is now residential. St. Andrew's in Northampton is a privately run hospital outside of the NHS.

Pete

In the north west:

Calderstones Hospital, Whalley, Lancs, old admin block and nurses home - now inpatient facility- remains open

Rainhill Hospital, Nr Liverpool, demolished small forensic unit Scott clinic open

Winwick Hospital, Nr Warrington, demolished, small private low secure hospital remains open on site, rest housing

Prestwich Hospital, main site demolished, Edenfield centre medium secure unit and three or four low secure units remain open

Last edited:
In the north west:

Calderstones Hospital, Whalley, Lancs, old admin block and nurses home - now inpatient facility- remains open

Rainhill Hospital, Nr Liverpool, demolished small forensic unit Scott clinic open

Winwick Hospital, Nr Warrington, demolished, small private low secure hospital remains open on site, rest housing

Prestwich Hospital, main site demolished, Edenfield centre medium secure unit and three or four low secure units remain open

Add to that then, Brookwood - Nursing Home now secure unit.

If we are going to go that far though, we will be listing alot more hopsitals...

I'm sure the old Victorian buildings at Carstairs have just been demolished.

Add to that then, Brookwood - Nursing Home now secure unit.

If we are going to go that far though, we will be listing alot more hopsitals...

Most of the old asylums in the north west that were demolished are survived by medium secure units perhaps except for Lancaster Moor although that has Ridge Lea hospital nearby which is an acute unit

forgot one in the north west, Guild lodge MSU situated in the grounds of Whittingham Hospital next to St Lukes

In addition to those listed there are a few more I can add:

mental hospitals

...............St. Bernard's, Hanwell (approx 1/2 of asylum block)...............

Pete

This is one BIG MUMMA of a place. Originally was a Workhouse, but is more like in the layout of a Prison (such as Holloway), with the wings radiating from central hubs

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hanwell_Asylum

http://www.multimap.com/maps/?zoom=...th&loc=GB:51.50671:-0.35105:16|UB13EU|UB1 3EU

Cuban B, yeah I dunno whether they have yet been demolished or not but Carstairs would have been LEGENDARY to get into...but potentially HELL also since I have no idea how security were going to manage the boundary and moving all of the innmates.r

Last edited:
This is one BIG MUMMA of a place. Originally was a Workhouse, but is more like in the layout of a Prison (such as Holloway), with the wings radiating from central hubs

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hanwell_Asylum

http://www.multimap.com/maps/?zoom=...th&loc=GB:51.50671:-0.35105:16|UB13EU|UB1 3EU

It wasn't ever a workhouse. From 1831 to the present day it has always been used as an asylum/mental hospital. The layout is a derivation of the radial/cruciform types of plan which are typical of prisons where it was advantageous to have good views through large areas of the interior via hubs.

Pete

Cuban B, yeah I dunno whether they have yet been demolished or not but Carstairs would have been LEGENDARY to get into...but potentially HELL also since I have no idea how security were going to manage the boundary and moving all of the innmates.r

It would've been a great explore, shame the old part all came down in a few weeks though it wouldn't have been very explorable. HMP Saughton is getting the same treatment, the old part should all be gone in a few weeks time so if anyone's interested they'd better get in there fast. The difference is this place is potentially explorable.

I've visited the Warneford hospital several times, I took part in a study run by the Oxford University department that's based there, for which I was paid 30 quid a visit :)

Architecturally it's a gem, later development was concentrated at the Littlemore Hospital so it remains compact yet uncluttered and all built in Headington stone rather than brick.

Best of all, being still an open hospital you can go in the grounds and walk round it without being accosted, should you wish to expand your knowledge of hospital architecture.

http://www.flashearth.com/?lat=51.750785&lon=-1.222355&z=18.7&r=39&src=msl

Runwell Hospital - Essex

Hi All,
Runwell Hospital WILL close in September 2009 when the new Runwell Hospital will open, most of the site is now vacant that the Old Rochford Hospital has been demolished and rebuilt.

There are currently 8 wards in use at Runwell, they are spread over the site, they are Harman ward, Belfairs Ward, Fairview Ward, Plashet Ward, Hullbridge Ward, Steepleview Ward, Dove Ward, Oakview Ward, Boleyn Two Ward (Boleyn Two is Admin), the works department is still active.

Also the Main Administration building and The Lodge Nurses home are still in use.

All other wards (Glendale House, Rettendon House, Strom Olsen Male & Female Wards, Leigh House, Brookside Ward, Sunnyside Ward, Woodside Ward, Elizabeth Ward, Sherington Ward, Margaret Ward, Windsor Ward Sandringham Ward, Nightingale Ward, Ambleside House, Elm House, Ashingdon Ward, Chalkwell One Ward, Chalkwell Two Ward, Boleyn One Ward, Laburnum Ward, Hillview House, Glendale House, Chapel of St Luke are Closed

hope this helps

Hello Hospitalworker,

I read with interest what you said about Runwell. I'm not particularly familiar with some of the wards (ashingdon, harman, belfairs, fairview, hullbridge, steepleview, oakview, dove) but the names reflect some listed in a document relating to rochford hosp. is it the case that they have moved over while rebuilding takes place? A few wards I was familiar with at runwell don't appear on your list (wren, heron, harper east, harper west, westcliff, oakfield, grangewood I + II - is it the case that the rochford wards might occupy some of these blocks. When i last visited the site in 2005 many of these wards appeared still in the same guise since the opening of the hospital!

Thanks for any info you can give.

Pete

Hi Pete,

Sorry I am using the names of how they are now known through working there, as many of the buildings have changed names.

Ashingdon Ward is the demountable building in front of Elm House, this relocated from Rochford Hospital when Rochford was demolished.

In regards to the others:
Wren Ward is now Steepleview Ward since 2004 - Closing September 2009
Heron Ward is now Dove Ward since 2004 - Closing November 2008
Harper East is now Oakview Ward since 2005 - Closing September 2009
Harper West is now just called Harper Unit since 1999 - Closing September 2009
Oakfield Ward is closed
GrangeWood One is now Belfairs Ward since 1995 - CLosing September 2009
Grangewood Two is now Fairview Ward since 2004 - Closing September 2009
Westcliff Ward is now Harman Ward since 2005 - Closing September 2009
Boleyn Two Admin block will also close September 2009
Administrationbuilding will close September 2009

Chalkwell One Ward, Boleyn One Ward, Elm House and Ashingdon Ward all closed in February 2008 after relocation to Rochford Hospital.

Only one ward from Rochford Hospital relocated to Runwell, this was Ashingdon Ward which has now gone back to Rochford.

hope this helps you, if you require further info send me a pvt message

Runwell 1938

For those with an interest with runwell.. all the photos are 1938 and before.

generalview.jpg

runwellverandah.jpg

runwellgym.jpg

runwellhydrotherapy.jpg

runwellinsulin.jpg

runwelldining.jpg

runwell3.jpg

runwell1.jpg

runwell2.jpg

runwellkitchen.jpg

runwellrecreation.jpg

one of these is possibly the operating theatre at runwell, the images were in the same batch.

operatingtheatremodernmentalhospita.jpg

modernoperatingtheatre.jpg

Last edited:
I have heared talk that cefn coed, swansea is earmarked for closure. It commands good veiws and i bet the likes of "mr wimpy" cannot wait to get it. Wonder how true this talk is.

Latest posts

Back